Salvis penstemonoides Big Red Sage Item #: 3162
    Salvia Engelmannii Engelmann Sage Item #: 3146
    E-mail: info@seedsource.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Native American Seed

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Rich.
    Mara had collected some this year at her place just west of here. I did not know if she had S.texana close by as well.I need to add these to our collection down at Zilker.
    With S.texana I have seen a blue form and a darker blue
    going toward violet form. Armand said he remembered a pink form up in Georgetown but that population has been destroyed.
    Art

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

I have lots of the seed and I also have some growing , just sprouted that Have your name on them. I know where they are collected. You can come and get them any time. NOW or in the spring. Maybe 20 of them from two different populations on Hamilton Pool rd.. One from Rocky creek development and one from the Shingle hills , right by the Rifle range. - Mara

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

I did not collect S. Texana this Spring. Well, actually I did but it got lost in the walking around and getting labeled and stored right. I might have some from last year still. There might be a few coming up around the parent. I will check.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mara:
    Thank You so much!
    Any variance in flower color? Good to
    have several different collections from different
    populations. Keeps the genetic pool more diverse.
    Art

• voodoobrew
    14 years ago

"Armand said he remembered a pink form up in Georgetown but that population has been destroyed."

Destroyed by what, over-development? :(

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

Yes VOODOOBREW, development is the cause. Georgetown is a fast growing suburban town outside of Austin right on the Mexico/SanAntonio/Dallas /Canada Freeway (IH35). Not Far from Dell computer too. Bad for plant life.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry I am just getting home from work. Voodoobrew it is not just these two Salvias. We have forms of farinacea,roemeriana,azurea var grandiflora,coccinea and
    other members of the mint family that are threated.
    We used to have fields of monarda not any more.Physostegia
    Brazoria,Scutellaria as well as many other wild flowers.
    I have another project I am working on trying to get some
    of these plants into our local Botanical gardens so they are preserved and not lost forever.
    Art

• voodoobrew
    14 years ago

I'm glad you are doing this, Art. I feel that I have the same "mission" here in CA, that is partly why I want to go back to school in horticulture. My concern is also for the wildlife... so much development here, and then people put in landscape plants that are, for the most part, unappetizing to the local birds, etc. I've been told that I should be a plant consultant. Not exactly sure yet, but I will figure it out. Anyway, my Dad was from Texas and passed away recently, and I am still reeling a bit over it. As I've told Mara, I'd be interested in native TX seeds for the small memorial garden that my son and I have started. Thank you Rich for the native seed link above. -Michelle

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about your father. I grow some Tx. Natives
    here and was one of many people who help Sally Wasowski
    (Native Texas Plants region by region)with her book many years ago. I also worked for a company that did a lot
    of the planting at the wildflower center here in Austin.
    Let us know how we can help. Salvias have been a interest
    for a long time I just wished had started doing something 20 years ago. We do have a certification program for back yards that provide habitat for Birds. They have developed
    a plant list of what you need to become a "Certified Habitat" and looks like there are soem in Califorina Here is the website info: nwf.org

Sponsored