Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pineapple?

Posted by brenda_near_eno Z7a (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 29, 06 at 6:47

I have two different salvias, grown from seed, and both smell like pineapple. Both have red flowers, similar leaves and habit. One has very short calyx and other has longer calyx, similar to proportion in a greggii. Both seeds were sent to me as Salvia elegans. Little hint please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pineapple?

Can you post images of the leaves and flowers, with some common object for scale?

The short calyx one is probably pineapple sage.

o

There is also one that is Honey Sage that is a variety of S. elegans and is very similar.

o

Honey Melon Sage has leaves as wide as the standard Pineapple sage, but the length is about half. The scent has additional components that shift the odor from pineapple to a honeydew melon to a degree. It has something of a musky odor in addition to the pineapple.

It is an accession from the Huntington Botanical Garden. The calyx and flower are somewhat smaller than those of the standard.

o

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

The second plant is pineapple sage for sure. The first looks like a microphylla to me, but the large leaved ones are not true red, more often fuchsia. Cherry Chief and the deltoid leaved microphylla are that shade of red, also Orange Door and Zaragoza, but the leaf shapes are wrong.

Salvia coccinea has forms with those flowers and leaf shapes. The purple mottling on the lower, older leaves also suggests coccinea. Is it really pineapple scented? Coccinea has a distinct odor, not much like pineapple.

Are your plants growing in a warm to hot shady area?

o

Yep, the heart-shaped leaf is a puzzle. Definitely both are pineapple scented, though I don't think my sniffer is good enough to discern melon, etc tones. The flower and calyx do look like large microphylla to me, though not the leaves, but nothing like the scent of my other microphyllas. Yes, I have only dappled shade, and it's hot outside Hillsborough.

o

The heart-leaf one is definitely fruit-scented - checked again. Could it be disjuncta or gesneraeflora? Is it possible that coccinea smells like fruit to me - how would you describe its scent?

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 2, 06 at 9:51

Ok, I just had to go smell mine (6:45am and crispy!). My coccinea definitely smells fruity, even like pineapple, and I never even noticed. :)

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here