Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow flowered salvias

Posted by mojorisin57 08816 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 11, 04 at 9:47

has anyone grown a yellow flowered perennial salvia? if so, which species did you grow? where did you buy the plant/seed? how would you rate the plant? Also, has anyone ever grown an orange flowered perennial salvia? Are there any?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow flowered salvias

Well, I'm growing salvia madrensis-flowers in late fall. Might grow to zone 7. I'm also growing salvia koyamae but only had it for short time. May be grown in zone 5 according to a list for salvias in Central North Carolina. Salvia x jamensis 'La Luna' also yellow. I had this one long time ago. I think there are at least two orange salvias.
A World of Salvias is a good source to get these salvias.

o

There are a number of yellow flowered salvias. There also are orange or oeange/red salvias.

Check out my photo site for them.

SG

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Photos

o

Besides madrensis, there are the European sages S. glutinosa, S. nubicola, S. koyamae, S. nipponica (including var. Fuji Snow), and the hard to grow but stunning S. flava v. megalantha. The others are hardy into zone 5.

Hopefully, someone will bring into the USA the hybrid S. glutinosa x flava v. megalantha `Amber' It is showy and durable.

o

S. koymae is a beautiful, tough-as-nails primrose yellow salvia which is fully hardy into zone 5, maybe even zone 4. It blooms in Septmber and October and grows/blooms well in moderate full shade. Wonderful underutilized hardy shade groundcover.

o

I seen some new ones in plants delights.
I liked
California sunset(hybrid)peachy
dark sage dancer/dark reddish color
hot lips(microphyllia)red/white....neato

Does anyone grow the forsythia sage?they said 7 ft.are they for real?

o

They are right, the forsythia can grow that tall. Mine kind of leans on the ground. I liked the California sunset too which I ordered from them , I think it's the same as Cabrillo College lists it as Salvia'Cabrillo Sunrise'.

o

My salvia Madrensis was about 24" tall when I bought it in a gallon container last spring. By October it was over 8 ft with beautiful, long, yellow blooms. If I haven't already lost it, I'll be moving it over to give it more room. I'm not sure yet if it overwintered. I will definitely replace it if it didn't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here