Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Could Black & Blue cross w/coccinea???

penny1947
17 years ago

What are the possibilies of Salvia guaranitca Black & Blue crossing with Salvia coccinea? Earlier in the seaosn I posted a picture of one of the salvias that sprouted from the seed of my Black & Blue seeds. Out of 6 seeds that I sowed, 2 came true to the B&B and 2 ended up with red flowers very similar to my salvia coccineas and 2 developed deep red spikes but the flowers never fully opened and fell off but it appeared that they would have been a red or possibly deep pink.

The plants with the red flowers looked very much like coccinea however the leaves were more like that of guaranitica and have the 'scent' of guaranitica. The bloom time was longer and they remained hardy after our first killing frost which took out all my coccineas. One of the plants was broken off earlier in the season right at the base so I made several cuttings of the broken plant and put them in the soil in an area that stayed moist all summer. They all rooted and bloomed. I dug up two of the rooted cuttings to overwinter inside. They are growing beautifully. The ones that are still outside in the ground after a killing frost and being in a wetter than natural area are still green though no longer blooming. They appear to be much hardier than my coccineas that were planted in well draining soil and they bit the dust last week. Could I possibly have a coccinea that has the hardiness of a guaranitica? I wanted to try these again for a full growing season in the ground so that is why I decided to bring a couple of the cuttings inside for the winter.

Penny

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA