Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianbrazil

Salvia patens

ianbrazil
11 years ago

I have two surviving seedlings from a packet I bought about 9 months ago and they are just starting to flower (it is late Spring here remember) - the first time I have grown it. Couldn't believe the blue! We have no frost problems here so I will leave them where they are. My question is how big can I expect the plants to become eventually if they are left alone? At the moment they are only about 6 inches tall and 3-4 inches across.

Comments (3)

• robinmi_gw
    11 years ago

Not knowing your climate, it is difficult to know what to suggest. Which area of Brazil are you in?

Salvia patens comes from cloudy and misty high elevations, likes moisture, and objects to intense heat and sun. Even in England it does not like too much intense sun, not that we have that much! Healthy plants should be about 18 x 12 inches, with flowers throughout summer, if you dead-head them.

There are several different forms....see my site www.robinssalvias.com

Robin.

• rich_dufresne
    11 years ago

S. patens also has rhizomes and/or tubers, and definitely needs good air and soil drainage.

Hot, humid nights can be lethal.

• hummersteve
    11 years ago

I tried salvia patens last season for the first time. I adored those huge flowers it put out. The nursery I saw this in had them inside the greenhouse. It definitely did not like my climate. I moved it around quite a bit trying to find a place where it would be ok and flower. It seemed to do best shaded or filtered from direct sun. It also did better when It cooled down some. Not one I can grow effectively in my mid-west climate. Never did flower well for me.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery