Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluedawn_gw

Favorite salvia

BlueDawn
18 years ago

OK. I am new to Salvias but I bought 3 little baby plants a couple of months ago and they are already about 3 feet tall and blooming. They are purple with white on them. I love them. Just wondering if all you salvia people can tell me what your favorites are and if you have any pictures. I want to grow some more! Thanks.

Comments (17)

• robinmi_gw
    18 years ago

It sounds like you have Salvia leucantha.

If you want to see over 200 pictures of Salvias, have a look at www.robinssalvias.com .

Robin.

• BlueDawn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Robin, couldn't get onto the site. Just a picture of a red salvia.

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

After going to the library to get to see Robins site, I found a way to get to the site at my computer by typing http://www.robinssalvias.com/gallery1.htm
    Hope it works for you and enjoy.

Helena

• robinmi_gw
    18 years ago

You need java script, then you will see everything.

Robin.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I have to say that my all time favorite is Salvia Guaranitica Black & Blue. I just love the contrast of the deep cobalt blue flowers against all the shades of red, pink, yellow and orange flowers in my yard. Another one that I love is Salvia Blepharophyla 'Diablo' because the red is so intense. Then I would have to pick Salvia Leucantha and Wild Watermelon. Leucantha should do very well for you. I received mine as an offset from a friend who lives on the Alabama coast. I think I lost mine this past week when our temps went down to the high 20's. My wild watermelon and diable are the only two salvias that have survived our two freezing nights.

Penny

• ltcollins1949
    18 years ago

Here's an easy way to get to the site Helena & Robin gave us: Robin's Salvias. Great site Robin!

Down here it seldom freezes, maybe once every 5 to 7 years, so our salvias make it year round. The S. coccinea are very invasive down here, and they grow everywhere. I really like the autumn sage S. greggii and pineapple sage S. elegans, both which do well for me. I like, but haven't had much luck with either the Black and Blue S. guaranitica, all of mine died, but I'll try again next year, or the S. clevelandii, which I still have two of them in the ground, but they are just there, not growing or dieing. Maybe next spring they will take off.

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

Of all my salvias I still like S. involucrata "Mulberry Jam" best --- but don't tell the other salvias I said so.

• brenda_near_eno
    18 years ago

greggiii 'Furman's Red'

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

I'm very pleased with Betsy's Purple, seems to be more upright than Purple Majesty, blooming almost non stop in a pot.

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

I like Indigo spires and the salvias with the BLOOD RED flowers! :o) I have a baby van houttii indoors next to my chiapensis and it is just gorgeous...blooming that RED RED RED.

• robinmi_gw
    18 years ago

Salvia dombeyi takes a lot of beating, provided the spider mites don't get to it first!

Salvia gravida is also spectacular.

Robin.

• jenn
    18 years ago

Right now it's Riverside Sage, which is probably S. greggii x S. karwinskii.

It maintains a nice round form of mostly upright stems. It doesn't get open and woody like some of the other Salvias. It blooms mostly in spring and fall in pinkish-red blooms. Doesn't get too big and it doesn't flop, so it's perfect for a 4-foot deep border.

Jen

• rich_dufresne
    18 years ago

Jenn:

Where are you located? The growth habit does not sound that much like S. greggii x karwinskii. I live in central North Carolina, and it definitely develops lax stems. Once the central spike finishes blooming, there are often side shoots that develop more spikes, like a Buddleia (butterfly bush)

• robinmi_gw
    18 years ago

I would also add the wonderful Salvia oxyphora to my favourites.

Robin.

• susan82
    18 years ago

I am a Salvia fanatic and was absolutely thrilled to see Robin's site! The best I have ever seen. Thank you so much! I am definitely saving it to favorites :)

• susan82
    18 years ago

My favorite is S. Leucantha. It is velvety, a beautiful shade of purple, and the hummers love it the best.

Other favorites are Indigo Spires, Hot Lips, Waverly,
    Greggii 'Caviar', Guaranitica 'Black and Blue' and Chiapensis.

• jenn
    18 years ago

Richard,

I'm in southern California. Maybe I didn't describe it well. It forms a nice rounded plant but not floppy. I guess you could consider the stems lax since the plant is not v-shaped, but it is so mannerly that I don't consider it floppy. It doesn't flop open or require staking at all like some I've had. Maybe it's just in an ideal spot with plenty of room around it. I'll try to take a picture in the still of the morning and post it so you can see it. I bet I just am not desribing it well...

Jen

Sponsored