Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
salvia cuttings

Posted by bobbygil 7 (rascal559@aol.com) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 12:31

Hi....I have a few seedlings that are about 4 months old and are getting big n healthy. Should I plant them now in zone 7 or move them into bigger pots and wait until spring. thanks bobby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: salvia cuttings

Bob, you will need to see if the roots have made near complete penetration of the soil in their current pot before either setting out or repotting.

Whatever you do, growth will probably be slow, so you will either want to mulch the plant if set outside, or use about a 2 inch larger pot than what you have now.

Whether you set the plants out or repot is also a question of the variety, and its soil and microclimate needs versus what conditions you can supply.

Can you post a list of which species you are talking about?

o

Rich thanks, they are microphylla San Carlos Festival, Stormy Pink greggii and Silke's Dream Salvia. They are about 10 inches tall and seem healthy

o

Of the three, San Carlos Festival is the one I might set out. Stormy pink is new to me. Silke's Dream isn't as hardy as SCF, but should work, if you mulch it.

The roots need to develop in order to avoid frost heaving, if that is an issue for you. I doubt that will be the case in central Georgia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here