Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

Pineapple sage invasive?

subk3
11 years ago

I'm trying to figure out what to do with a pineapple sage plant (probably "Golden Delicious") that has died back with the first frosts we've had. It started out as a tiny little seedling in the spring and morphed into a monstrous 3' high 5' wide monster plant. It looks like some of the taller spikes fell to the ground and rooted new plants a couple feet from the mother plant. It took over half the garden, but was so spectacular I let it go.

If it was just happy in my well irrigated, well drained and horse manure fertilized garden that's one thing. If it's going to come back and I'm going to find it all over my little garden next spring like some mint scourge I need to be a lot more aggressive in my fall clean up!

So how hardy is it (I'm in zone 7a--usually a few nights a winter at 10� or less) and how invasive is it? If I rip it out will it still haunt me?

Comments (5)

• wardda
    11 years ago

No it is isn't, especially in your zone. It is a crap shoot when it comes to survival in zone 7a. Last winter was no measure of survival since most of us had a very warm winter. It is best not to cut it back until you see new life in spring. I have never heard anyone say their Pineapple Sage was invasive. If it does return and the clump is too big for you just dig it up and divide it.

• robinmi_gw
    11 years ago

Agree with wardda, this is a fast-growing but would not say invasive Salvia. Golden Delicious obviously recognisable by its golden/lime foliage. Easily controlled, though it will root from prostrate stems, should never be a problem.

• robinmi_gw
    11 years ago

Agree with wardda, this is a fast-growing but would not say invasive Salvia. Golden Delicious obviously recognisable by its golden/lime foliage. Easily controlled, though it will root from prostrate stems, should never be a problem.

• rich_dufresne
    11 years ago

My experience with pineapple sages is that the self-layered stems are the most likely to survive, and that applying some mulch for thermal insulation will increase survivability.

• Annie
    11 years ago

I live in zone 7 as well. It is a "tender perennial".
    Take cuttings and root them in the fall before first frost.

It "might" survive in your area if you cover it with a big tub. They do NOT like their roots damp in the bitter cold. They like, well-drained, gravelly and sandy soil best.

Not invasive.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services