Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pineapple sage invasive?

Posted by subk3 7a/Mid TN (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 14:20

I'm trying to figure out what to do with a pineapple sage plant (probably "Golden Delicious") that has died back with the first frosts we've had. It started out as a tiny little seedling in the spring and morphed into a monstrous 3' high 5' wide monster plant. It looks like some of the taller spikes fell to the ground and rooted new plants a couple feet from the mother plant. It took over half the garden, but was so spectacular I let it go.

If it was just happy in my well irrigated, well drained and horse manure fertilized garden that's one thing. If it's going to come back and I'm going to find it all over my little garden next spring like some mint scourge I need to be a lot more aggressive in my fall clean up!

So how hardy is it (I'm in zone 7a--usually a few nights a winter at 10� or less) and how invasive is it? If I rip it out will it still haunt me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pineapple sage invasive?

No it is isn't, especially in your zone. It is a crap shoot when it comes to survival in zone 7a. Last winter was no measure of survival since most of us had a very warm winter. It is best not to cut it back until you see new life in spring. I have never heard anyone say their Pineapple Sage was invasive. If it does return and the clump is too big for you just dig it up and divide it.

o

Agree with wardda, this is a fast-growing but would not say invasive Salvia. Golden Delicious obviously recognisable by its golden/lime foliage. Easily controlled, though it will root from prostrate stems, should never be a problem.

o

Agree with wardda, this is a fast-growing but would not say invasive Salvia. Golden Delicious obviously recognisable by its golden/lime foliage. Easily controlled, though it will root from prostrate stems, should never be a problem.

o

My experience with pineapple sages is that the self-layered stems are the most likely to survive, and that applying some mulch for thermal insulation will increase survivability.

o

I live in zone 7 as well. It is a "tender perennial".
Take cuttings and root them in the fall before first frost.

It "might" survive in your area if you cover it with a big tub. They do NOT like their roots damp in the bitter cold. They like, well-drained, gravelly and sandy soil best.

Not invasive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here