Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which is larger, Dark Dancer or Raspberry Royale?

Posted by meslgh DFW 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 15:16

I'm in search for a dark fuschia, dark magenta, or dark wine red Salvia greggii that is relatively compact (under 3' feet, maybe only 2", if possible). I'm gardening in Dallas, on black clay amended with expanded shale, and this will go in full sun. From what I've seen Dark Dancer or Raspberry Royale should suit as far as the color I'd like (but feel free to offer other suggestions). As I look around the internet for how large these get, there are few direct comparisons, but most suggest that Dark Dancer is taller than Raspberry Royale, but the Fort Worth Botanic Garden says that Dark Dancer gets to 24" and Raspberry Royale gets to 29" for them. Which do you think is larger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which is larger, Dark Dancer or Raspberry Royale?

Here in North Carolina, Dark Dancer gets over 3 feet against a wall at the JC Raulston Arboretum, and Raspberry Royale is arounf 30 inches in a raised bed at my old home.

The difference can be from the relative ages of the plants as well. I think height is basically a wash.

The main difference for me is that Raspberry Royale has smaller but more numerous flowers and is a bit more spreading.

o
RE: Which is larger, Dark Dancer or Raspberry Royale?

Here is the Dark Dancer image.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here