Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scraggly Mexican Sage

Posted by librarylady Southern California (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 9, 08 at 15:45

I live about 3 miles from the beach. I recently bought a Mexican Sage (on sale) and planted it in a pot. It gets about 1/2 day of afternoon sun. It's starting to look very scraggly. Is this because it's not getting enough sun, or do these plants get scraggly after flowering? Does it need to be cut back? If I'm supposed to cut it back, how much do I cut off? It's about 3 to 4 feet tall and sparse. There is new growth at the base of the plant.

Would it look this way if it were getting too much water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scraggly Mexican Sage

You are describing normal behavior this time of year. There should be ample new shoots at the base. If the old growth is still turgid and not losing too many leaves, let it stay until it has finished contributing to the plant's vitality.

o

I have a nice patch of Salvia chamaedroides (Mexican Blue Sage) and have read that the plants should be pruned back to stimulate better growth. Many, but not all, of the spent flower tops will drop off eventually, but i am still unclear on how much should normally be pruned back and when. Old growth that no longer has leaves would normally get pruned out anyway. For other healthy growth should i just trim the tops, prune about midway down, or do a hard prune to ground level? And when should this be done, say in the fall, near midwinter, in the spring before new growth or another time. TIA.

o

Librarylady:
I would say depends on which Mexican Sage you have.If
Mexican Bush Sage (S.leucantha) or if it is Mexican Sage S.mexicana or a few others.
Please narrow down my options.Then I can better answer your
question.
Thank You
Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here