Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning salvia patens?

Posted by duane456 z8westernOR (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 5, 08 at 16:19

Can I prune salvia patens to the ground for the winter? Thanks in advance for your help.
Duane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning salvia patens?

I always let my salvias die from the cold, mulch heavily with fallen leaves, and leave the stems standing until spring. It is windy here, so I cover the three-foot layer of leaves with a piece of chicken wire to hold the leaves in place, and the stems help keep the leaves from compacting too much; I think more air space means better conditions for the salvias. Of course it is much colder here in PA than in much of western Oregon. Still, I would leave at least part of the stem standing all winter even in Oregon.

o

Mine die all the way back in winter in CA/z9. When all the leaves have turned yellow/brown, I cut them to the ground.

o

Salvia patens likes it dry when it is in either summer or winter dormancy.

I am awaiting a plant or seed of the selection made by Cabrillo College, which was a 4 foot by 4 foot bush so heavy with flowers that there was a nearly continuous blue carpet underneath the bush.

o

The top growth of mine just seems to disappear - I am usually still collecting seed till nearly Christmas, then I shove the plants somewhere and forget about them till spring, and by then there's no top growth left! Rots and blows away, I suppose. I don't have to overwinter these under cover but if I am taking some in (to get an earlier start or if very cold weather is forecast) I cut them down beforehand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here