Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild weather week.

Posted by desertsage 8 Sunset 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 1, 09 at 16:49

I am 5 miles from New Mexico and 50 miles from Old Mexico at 4500 ft in the Chiricahua Mtns. First 50+ mph winds, followed by an Alaskan freight train. I had a low of 24 that is unheard of in October. We dont usually get a freeze until late November, early December. Gone till next year S. leucantha, S. guaranitica, S. dorisiana. All the S. greggii had the buds burned, but after 3 days and 78 degree temps are blooming again. S. microphylla are on the fence not quite mush, but close. I do have some S. elegans in pots on a cart I rolled into the barn at night.

I am still getting 3 hummingbird species and about 20 birds coming to the feeders that I put in the barn also. Still getting Magnificent, Annas, and Black-chin.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild weather week.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the vagaries of the weather, Desertsage. However, here is a tale to re-address the balance.

Up to about five or so years ago, I could guarantee a frost in mid-September to blacken off all my more tender salvias.

In more recent years the frosts have kept away until the latter part of October - adding much to the enjoyment of my later flowering salvias.

Last year was exceptional in that it was a heavy snowfall on 28th October that flattened my outdoor salvias.

Now this year is exceptional yet again in that I have not yet had anything to knock out the beauties. If only it would continue so in order that those plants which I grow outside solely for their wonderful foliage i.e.dorisiana, gravida and leucantha could flower in situ. Sadly, I think I ask too much - need a bit more global (i.e. Hertfordshire) warming for that.

Jim

o

Today I was in shorts and a tank top. It IS November, correct?...

I'm not missing the weather in northern Germany, that's for sure. I don't believe i ever saw a salvia there... mostly rhododendrons.

o

That puts you somewhere near Cave Creek on the east side of the mountains. What wonderful country.

o

Back to 75-80 this week. Yes wardda, Sulphur Canyon and Portal Peak.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here