Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about Salvias in the Sub tropics

Posted by barbcoleus z10 SWFL (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 07 at 18:00

Hello Salvians!
I received some Salvia Lady in Red seeds a while ago, they sprouted and are now currently blooming in my garden. What's next? Are they annuals, perennials. I have them in dappled shade should they have more sun-I'm talking Florida sun. They've bloomed do I cut off the bloom stalk. I don't see any seeds. THanks for general information. I searched for salvia sub tropics but I didn't see any information in that area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about Salvias in the Sub tropics

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 30, 07 at 19:21

Salvia coccinea 'Lady in Red' is an annual that reseeds fairly easily and really only needs pruning of the stalks for asthetics. Dappled or full FL sun should be ok.

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 1, 07 at 8:10

You may find that this plant is a short-lived perennial in your zone. My mom is in zone 9, N. California, and her "mother" plant has lived over at least 2 years. It has reseeded abundantly all around it, too, since she's not very consistent when it comes to deadheading. :D It is on the west side of their house, under the shade of the wide porch overhang, so it gets very limited sun. Regardless, it wilts in their extremely hot summers, so she must water it at least once a day during those times, even with their heavy, red clay soil.

Brenda

o

I think Salvia coccinea "Lady in Red" is a short lived perennial, like the regular species S. coccinea. It will probably live for a few years, and should bloom more or less continuously. You can remove the spent flower stalks, and should find lots of seeds inside the dried calyces. I would expect lots of volunteer seedlings to appear, and many of these will be pretty similar to the parent, but some will be more similar to the taller wild form of S. coccinea. This plant should do fine in full sun, part sun, or mostly shade. S. coccinea is pretty adaptable, usually doesn't have many problems (at least not in Louisiana, where I ahve grown it) and is well loved by hummingbirds that gather the nectar and goldfinches that eat the seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here