Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
does anyone know wht kinda salvia this is??

Posted by medontdo 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 07 at 19:44

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
its flower is lavender in color just a bit bigger than the coral nymph, it has pods for the seeds, the seeds are black, like the others, and the plant is 3ft tall, no smell, it has formed a hard wood to it, well, not really hard. LOL hmmmm.... what else to tell. the pods are about 1-2" long. please give me any kinda info, LOL :')

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: does anyone know wht kinda salvia this is??

Can we see the flowers? Offhand, the only sages that have that kind of foliage are Purple Stem (not yours, though), some leucantha hybrids (though none of these have big enough flowers). Do you mean pods (totally self-enclosed, pop open when ripe), or calyxes, which have an obvious opening?

It looks like it could be in the mint family with opposite leaves and the quadangular stem. If those are pods that are quadangular to the left, about 1/4 inch by 1 1/4 inch, this might be a member of the mustard family, which has 4-fold symmetry (flowers also). All mints have modified 5-fold symmetry with the stem being the main exception.

Evening primrose (Oenothera, family Onagraceae) also comes to mind

Are the main stem leaves around 1.5 to 2+ inches wide by around 6-8 inches long? This would not make it any sage I've ever seen.

It looks like you have a coccinea in the lower right of your picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Evening primrose on Wikipedia

o

the one down there is a coral nymph. at least that's what was on the packet. LOL
i don't have a pic, but it looks like that flower, only about as big as a pencil head, and lavender in color. that's what made me think it was a salvia, i only threw salvia, columbine, lavender, foxglove seeds in that bed. and the seeds i'm getting are just like the other salvia's. so that also led me to believe that. hmmm... plants are so beautifull and crazy!! LOL
it sounds like you've got it right on my plant. but it doesn't have any smell. so that would knock out the mint family wouldn't it?

o

No, many members of the mint family do not have scents, or only slight ones.

I'm wondering if it is fireweed. Epilobum species might creep into seed lots by mistake

o

i looked at the mints and such, i tell ya, the water mint almost looks like it, but its too fuzzy.

o
also

i forgot, the main stem, has pods all up and down them, then it has two stems going out and pods on all the stems also. it doesn't really go on the part that has the leaves. just the stem itself. or branch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here