Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia subincisa

Posted by KermitC none (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 20:11

Does anyone know where one can obtain seed of the Southwestern US native species?

Thanks,

Kermit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia subincisa

Just googled this.......read that the crushed leaves smell of skunk! Also related to the weedy S. reflexa, with even smaller flowers. But of course, we have to try it. Seem to recall another USA native Salvia having a dreadful smell....mohavensis perhaps?

Robin.

o

This one has a history of herbal use by the indigenous people of the southwest. And it grows in some pretty dry areas. I hope to find some so that we can trial it next years.

o

Fingers crossed that you come across seeds as I would also love to try this one.......

o

Yeah.......well, Annette, you like the stinky weeds!!!!! It was mohavensis which had an awful smell. Always germinated here, got one or two flowers.....then it croaked...but maybe ok in Queensland but without any humidity...doubt if that is possible there.

o

Humidity is Townsville's middle name lol.

Yws if it a salvia then I have to try it stinky or not,I dont
know what skunks smell like so I maybe in for a BIG shock heheheh....

o
RE: Salvia subincisa; some self-sowing species

If it is related to reflexa, it may be invasive. S. reflexa is banned as a potential weed in Oz, and has escaped in South Africa, as I recall.

I'm finding out that S. caymanensis self-sows rather easily. It has small blue flowers, but fairly nice foliage.

S. lasiocephala has also self-sown, but the flower heads aren't very showy in North Carolina. Maybe they will look nicwer in California. S. nilotica hardly is worth growing for me, but was much nicer at Cabrillo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here