Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia eizi-matudae

Posted by rich_dufresne z7 NC (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 22:07

This is a fine new sage, related to S. curviflora, S. littae, and S. purpurea. It is found in Chiapas, and has a similar bloom period (late autumn and winter); the flowers ar a little over an inch long, but the spike is pretty tight. It should be a good hummer plant for the west coast, gulf coast and Florida.

I got a plant from Tony Avent, via cuttings taken in august. I had trouble germinating the seed, but Tony had better luck. Only one of the cuttings made it, and I think Tony's plant in his trial garden died from 100 degree stress.

The seed came from either Robin Middleton or Rolando Uria. I hope others had better luck, and that it will become available over the next year or so.

Anyway, this will be on my list for next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia eizi-matudae

A nice Salvia....but temperamental in the UK, will flower in a good summer, otherwise in Autumn. Not in my top ten here, but can be really good in a warmer climate.

o

This one grew well for us this season. Blooms quite late, which leaves it prone to the sometimes-fierce Winter weather here (like today with 45 MPH winds). My guess from the way it grows is that after being in the ground a full season it will be sturdy enough to stand up to the weather.

o

And perhaps bloom earlier, once it is established.

Perhaps this has been a season where sages were really late to bloom this autumn not just in most of the USA.

I wonder if this pattern also was true on the West Coast and Europe.

o

Definitely true in the UK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here