Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hybridsage

Liquid seaweed on salvias

hybridsage
14 years ago

I understand that applying liquid seaweed to plants can

eleminate the need to spray for spidermites.

Has anyone tried this?

Art

Comments (24)

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

A long time ago, I did use it. It was helpful in relieving stress, and helped with insect control as well. It acts as a kind of liquid humus.

Heinz Grotske of Meadowbrook Herb Garden used it to keep his plants pest-free, along with other practices. The Rhode Island inspection agents were amazed that he did not have to use hard chemicals. The key was in the integrated management, and the other aspects, which I don't remember. His greenhouses were light and airy, and always immaculate. Not a sign of a stressed leaf or litter of dead foliage anywhere.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Im wondering if this would be a way to deter aphids from plants and such. If so would it also deter aphids from coral honeysuckle. This is a problem I have been having with my CH and an occasional salvia plant.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hummersteve:
    We use it for grasshopper control plus reading a article
    about using it on spidermites.So it would stand to reason
    that aphids may be effected also. In any case it would help your salvia and CH.
    Art

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Could this product be found anywhere they sell chemicals and such.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Are seaweed and kelp two different plants?

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hummersteve:
    Down here we have it at our local Nurseries and Lowe's.
    I don't know if your local people will carry it. On line
    souces should be no problem Maxicrop Liquid Seaweed is one that is available here.There are Powder forms also.

Susanlynne:
    Kelp and Seaweed are the same plants but being common names
    can mean several things in different regions.

Art

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Thanks for the expla, Art!

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Art

I have my called local lowes and they say they dont carry it. But I have looked up and found the kind you mentioned on line. I have found other kinds that are concentrate from seaweed labeled "Nitrozime" Im not sure which is better or if one has more of the seaweed in it. Im sure this stuff is more than just a foliar spray. Meaning I have used 'Spray n grow' although not that impressed with it[derived from iron sulfate and zinc oxide.]. But what I am interested in this for is another reason, glad it was brought uup though.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

I might add that "spray n grow" did not deter any aphids after all its just labeled a foliar spray.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Can anyone tell me why a derivitive of seaweed might keep insects away from plants?

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hummersteve :
    Sorry It has been a busy weekend Christmas parties, weather
    etc.. My understanding is two fold The first is the seaweed
    acts a growth inhibitor for insects. The second is the addition of micronutrients and natural growth enhancers that seaweed has in it the plants are in better health so plants are not attacked.There may be other factors in play as well but those are the ones I am aware of. Let me know if you want to try some S.miniata it would be good to get info on how this plant performs in a northern "garden situation". My guess is a good summer bloomer.
    Art

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Art

Thanks for the offer not sure I want to try those , I think I have enough red.

I have been reading a little about the seaweed and why it might help a plant keep insects at bay. It seems you right on it , but I guess I dont follow why an insect wouldnt attack a strong healthy plant it seems thats the kind they would want. Anyway should I decide to try that later on I have been comparing prices online , ebay might be the best route since some offer free shipping.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hummersteve:
    Plants like people if the are in good health the chances of
    getting sick or in this case attracting bad bugs are reduced by your chemical make up. Here is how it works.Healthy plants produce sucrose so when a mite lands on the plant and begins feeding that sucrose is turned into alcohol in the insect and kills it. So as all things do they develop survival stratiges the insect will stay away from a plant that has "Good health" verses the one who is stressed and is easy pray. In the wild plants have
    developed other strategies as well.By attracting good bugs
    to eat the bad bugs(Ajuga reptans)attracts hoverflies and ladybugs.In some Salvias(S.darcyi is a good example) the oil produced by the plant makes the insects
    get trapped in the oil laden hairs of the plant before it gets to the stem.In doing so vector insects like aphids
    (that carry some pretty nasty diseases) are elimunated as well.
    I know that was more than you asked about but helpful none the less.
    The process of measuring a plants health is more complicated than what is above. It involves the Brix
    Scale and some other testing mechanisms.
    Art

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Art

No, that is great I knew you were right I just wanted to understand why and now you have helped me to see why and understand how important it is for a plant to be as healthy as it can be and why. Heres a story related to the bug issue. A couple of years ago I had a salvia subrotunda from seed I had acquired anyway this plant was dying and after closer inspection I saw a lot of aphids on it . I was about ready to pull it out of the ground, then I saw one lone ladybug had found it so I decided let it be for few days as I had heard they could eat the aphids but I had never seen it first hand. Each day I would go out and watch this ladybug work on that plant and boy was she busy over and under each stem and leaf, not being still, and do you know that plant became the biggest and best plant in my garden that year,, sorry to go on so but I will never forget that event.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Im wondering how seaweed compares to fish emulsion in what it can do for plants is one better than the other. I have been using fish emulsion as a root feeder for some cuttings Im overwintering using the wicking style. My cuttings are not salvia they are cuphea david verity , dont know that it makes a difference in reference to the plant food.

when I took these cutting in Nov. they were only about 3"
    {{gwi:1249850}}

{{gwi:1249851}}

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

Way back in the 70s, Heinz Groetzke of Meadowbrook Herb Garden in Rhode Island used both on his plants. Seaweed was used to suppress insectpests, and supply liquid humus and minerals. Fish emulsion was used as a source of nitrogen and phosphorus.

• wardda
    14 years ago

Maybe it will work on whitefly. I am at my wits end with them this winter, the worst outbreak in years. While they don't destroy most salvias I have found that splendens Yvonne's seedlings don't handle them very well. It will be about a month before I sow the seed and I would like to have the outbreak under control by then - using any means.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ward:
    You will need to deal with the reproductive cycle first.Start using the seaweed at the same time so
    as the whitefly goes away the seaweed will be there
    to help keep your plants going.what I have used with
    great success against whitefly is a combination of
    insecticidal soap and seaweed. The soap kills the adult
    whitefly and the seaweed acts as a way to keep te plants
    from stressing. Which reduces the attraction for the insects.Two applications less than 5 days apart.
    Art

• voodoobrew
    14 years ago

I've got aphids on my S. sagittata (which is still blooming, well, trying to!) which I keep hand picking off, GRRR. Guess I should try the seaweed? Normally I let the abundant ladybugs do the job, but it's a little early for them, I guess. I also think that I may have the S. sagittata in too much shade.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Art

I now have my maxicrop seaweed. The instructions are to water once a week. It doesnt say to only water once a week, could you water with this more than once a week, if so would it be harmfull or helpfull or neither to do so. Also do you water the soil and the leaves. If you have a fairly large pot it might be difficult to make sure this stuff gets to the roots. Unless you wate all the way thru.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hummersteve:
    I would use your Seaweed once a week.Then do a foliar application at the same time.The foliar spray will be
    absorbed by the plant more quickly that the soil application.You will have the added benifit of deterring
    pest.I would say even to much of a good thing can be
    harmful.Doing the foliar application will ensure the seaweed is picked up through the leaves.

Art

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

Maxicrop is water soluble, and should work its way to the roots, especially after a few days. I'm glad they still make it. Does it come only as a concentrate, or does it still come in solid form as well?

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rich:
    I Have have only seen it as concentrate here in the south.
    Art

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Online I have only seen it listed as concentrate either liquid or powder. I have the liquid.

Sponsored