Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick Salvias

Posted by wantonamara 8bTx (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 23:00

I have had salvias for decades and never had a problem with them but I think I have Chili Thrips in my Salia Augusta Duelberg, Salvia regla , Salvia chiquita. They are thrips and I think they might be chili thrips . I am unsure how they arrived here. I know that these bugs are causing all sorts of problems in Florida, Houston and San Antonio. These thrips will live on 40 different families of plants. They are not picky. Has anyone out there had any problems with them on their salvias or is there another type of thrips that like salvias?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick Salvias

Thrips have never been a real problem for us. We've seen a few, but very little damage. Out-of-the-ordinary weather sometimes spawns unusual swings in populations, and odd weather has been the rule the last few years.

Good news is, there are now very effective fungal based insecticides that are targeted for thrips. Benign and effective. We have used similar formulations targeted at whitefly with great success.

o

What are the names of these fungal based insecticides. Are they damaging to bees. So far I have heard that spinosiad "sp?" and seven are effective on Chili thrips. Seven is damaging to bees. They seem to be more resistant than other thrips or that is what I am hearing. My nursery experts still have not dealt with chili thrips and told me to spray insect soap on them. I think I heard the bugs thanking me for the peppermint shower.

o

Here is one we have used. No recommendation intended . . . insert legal language here.

http://naturalindustries.com/commercial/Docs/2012/noflylabel.pdf

o

It says for greenhouse use only? I guess I can't use this one because my plants are outside. I will read up on it further. Thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here