Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chagrin_gw

Salvia barrelieri (?)

chagrin
18 years ago

Something like 10 years ago I received seed labelled Salvia barrelieri from a Salvia-savvy correspondent in Europe. The plant has a not unattractive basal rosette of deep green, 10cm-long oblongish, dentate leaves from which a single stem arises with a cluster of microscopic reddish flowers (best viewed with a lens of some sort). The plant is apparently absolutely cold hardy and needs no watering to thrive (I live in a high desert with considerable freezing in winter and very little yearly precipitation). It thrives in hard clay soil. In fact it thrives almost too much. I'm not quite sure how its seed gets spread far and wide in my large yard/garden (and even in an adjacent abandoned yard), but it does, and it will quickly cover large areas. I constantly have to weed it out from where it is not desirable. In fact, it makes a good ground cover and can even be mowed and will spring back. But is this really Salvia barrelieri, which I understand is from southern Spain and which is supposed to have larger--at least visible--flowers? Any suggestions?

Comments (3)