Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hybridsage

Looking for shippers of Salvia Plants US & Canada

hybridsage
14 years ago

I know of a few:A World of Salvias,Digging Dog Nursery,

Annies Annuals & Perennials,High Country Gardens, Plant Delights Nursery,Logee's,Bluestone Perennials,Pioneer Nureries and Lazy S Farm and seedhunt(For seed). Anyone I am missing?

Art

Comments (17)

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Art

Yes Im familiar with all you mentioned, but there is one you didnt mention and maybe you forgot since its much nearer you than me. I happened onto this place and offered it to my friends at network54 and they were all gaga over it. Its Bustani plant farm in stillwater OK. I sent them so much business that first year they gave me a courtesy order. Steve Owens owner said just tell him what I wanted and he would send it and he did. Anyway everyone loves the size and health and packing of their orders and they continue ordering from them. I still get thanks from people on the forum for finding Bustani.

Steve

• voodoobrew
    14 years ago

I wish Bustani would ship to CA... :(

Others I've bookmarked are Joy Creek, Sweet Nectar Nursery, Plant Safari, Goodwin Creek, Sandy Mush Herbs, Morning Sun Herbs, Mountain Valley Growers, Flowers by the Sea, Accents for Home & Garden, Terrapin Gardens, Avant Gardens, and Las Pilitas (CA species only).

Seeds can be found at Specialty Perennials, Smart Seeds and Salvia Garden.

• desertsage
    14 years ago

+1 on Specialty Perennials if time is unimportant for seed. And Horizon Herbs,for limited plants and seeds. Also High Country Gardens for plants. For Agastache, Penstemon, and Salvia, I like Diane's Flower Seeds.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Steve Owens is absolutely great and I have followed his career for years. He is a former host of our local Oklahoma Gardening show on PBS here, educated and experienced horticulturist who only recently (last 3 or so years) developed his own nursery. He is a Garden Watchdog top 30 winner and this is who I will be ordering from. You can request a free catalog online at his website, at Bustani Plant Farms. I also want the hardy native Caelsapinia that he carries (among a gazillion other things). Look for him to increase his inventory significantly over the next few years. His book, Oklahoma Gardening, and subsequent updates, is a must have for us Okies and a great source for other folks in the middle south and dealing with extreme weather.

Is a New World of Salvias still in business? I went to the website, but information and pricing seemed outdated, so didn't know. Also the Salvia site that someone inquired on forum inquired about re: Marwin's Pride seemed to offer many rare seeds. Does anyone have experience with them?

Susan

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

susanlynne48 :
    Did you mean A World of Salvias? Rich is still in business.

Hummersteve
    Thank You some really nice Salvias there in Okla.

Desert sage I will need to check those out I ahve done some business with High Country.His Raspberry Delight
    grows nicely here but flowering is sparce.
    Art

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

This thread is damn dangerous. I really need to know more nurseries like I need a hole in my head. I can't even order from all the ones I know of now. Well It will keep me entertained googling , surfing and drooling into the wee hours for a couple of nights now. For native salvias , I just ordered a slew of them from Southwestern Native seed. They are in their off season now so they will take a while to get back to you. They do buisness the old fashion way, No Phone number, printed out order form and they only take checks. There is a certain amount of trust that you have to have to do business with them since they are so out of pocket. They treated me well. and I liked their selection of arid wildflowers. Also J.L. Hudson, Seedman is a good source of seed.

• voodoobrew
    14 years ago

I have only ordered from one of the nurseries I mentioned (Mountain Valley), but all have a decent salvia selection. Personally, I am holding out until the Cabrillo Mother's Day sale. I know what my present is going to be... :) Being a hummingbird food provider, I really like Sweet Nectar Nursery and will be ordering from them next year. This crazy CA freeze we are experiencing has put me off to any more planting this year.

I just caved and bought a hummingbird feeder this morning. We shall see how long it takes Sparky to figure it out. I think he has already kicked his girlfriend out of my yard.

My S. sagittata seems the most frost burned, and it was loaded with flowers. sigh! I don't really know what to do besides cover things... ugh. Dealing with frost is definitely not my specialty!

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

I always say Im not going to buy any more plants, yeah right. Anyway us in the not-so -fair-weather climates can do things a little different . I am growing some inside cuttings for overwintering plus I have some blackbagged in my garage for forced dormancy. I have an inwall heater and thermostat to controll the temps out there for the winter. I also am experimenting with plastic covering of my main garden as suggested by a gardner even farther north than I am who had great success with it. The answer will come next may.

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

You have already been given most of the major web sites for mail order sages, but there are a few more relatively new ones that I will get to fairly soon.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rich :
    We will look forward to seeing what newer sites you have.
    The other sites are good ones too.
    Art

• voodoobrew
    14 years ago

There is always eBay... I just watched 10 seeds of S. microphylla Flower Child sell for $20. WOW. I have this plant and have been collecting seeds from it, and don't even think it's that great!

• jaybirdy
    14 years ago

Richter's Herbs in Canada sells some unusual salvias.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

Ecrater, an ebay like site but smaller

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia page at Ecrater

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Thought I would bring this thread up again in case anyone knows of any new or additional Salvia sellers. I just came across one that does mail order as well as on-site sales, called Pearson's Gardens and Herb Farm that sells quite a number of Salvia. They are not on Garden Watchdog, so I was wondering if anyone in California knew of them. They are located in Vista, California.

And, although discussed previously, will add dogwooderitternet on Ebay to the list. Just google the name and it will come up first in your results.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Pearson's Gardens and Herb Farm

• wcgypsy
    13 years ago

I'm familiar with Pearson's..they're only about 10 miles from me. I've not done mail order from them, obviously, since they're close, but they do have a lot of salvias and herbs, are knowledgeable and have been in business for years. The plants that I've bought there have been sturdy, well grown and of good size.

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input, wcgypsy! I'll put them on my list for future reference.

Susan

• bbarnes001
    13 years ago

i would just like to say that this is a great thread. I dont think ive seen it up here but ive ordered some good stuff from tasteeclectic on ebay and he has a ecrater. it is a bit expensive but everything comes true to type and healthy. He has multiple names on ebay, but once again his plants are pricey on ebay.

and, i dont ususally do this, but i am starting a salvia nursery. i have over 200 species and cultivars. i will be working on a website over the next year. It isnt my full time thing...graduate student. But i have lots. just email me if anyone wants a list. im willing to trade everything i have.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider