Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matias_busch

salvia concolor???

matias_busch
17 years ago

Here in Argentina there isn´t many salvias to choose.

In some nursery told this one like de unknown name, in other they name as chang, because the name of the japanese that "produce" them.

looking for it in the web, I´ve found some similar in Robin´s Page.

Is this a concolor?? blooms in autumn

I´m sorry for my english.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (16)

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

another image of a cutting growing could help?

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

In habit and leaf shape, this looks like S. leucantha x elegans `Anthony Parker', but the flower color should be dark purple. Perhaps it is another cross of the same parents, or it is a function of lighting and horticulture.

There are new leucantha selections in trial phase coming from South Africa, both with white calyx and floral stem hairs and one with white flowers, the other pink ones. Good news for growers of fresh cut flowers.

• sarahbn
    17 years ago

I have something like that I thought it was indigo spires.

Do you know salvia meyeri it's from Argentina here's a photo I took this summer

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sarah, thanks for the information

I´ve never seen s. meyeri here. I start to look for it.

This one I think was concolor is rather different in habits than indigo spires.

the calix are soft blue, the leaves color is similar to leucanta´s, (my indigo spires is more green, and has not color difference between upside and downside).
    In addition this "concolor" has straight stems, neither Indigo.

Matias

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

Salvia concolor (syn S. cyanea) has very dark purple flowers and calyxes.

At least one accession of S. meyeri is in the USA, available from Tony Avent at Plant Delights. It is variable, and I think I have a different accession from Carl Schoenfeld of Yucca-Do that I am trying to identify.

• sarahbn
    17 years ago

Oh okay I have alot of trouble telling the blue/purple salvias apart.
    The meyeri reminds me of salvia urica but it has white in it it got very tall I would say about 6 feet at least and came back from last summer But urica also gets tall.

• robinmi_gw
    17 years ago

As mentioned on an adjoining post, Christian Froissart now thinks that what we have had as Salvia meyeri is in fact Salvia rhinosina!

Robin............Whatever it is, it is a good Salvia!

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

There are several Salvia uricas going around in the USA. The first came from friends of J. L. Hudson in Oaxaca many years ago, and is tall, with a smell like an aged gelatin capsule. This is the smell of a doctor's office or pharmacy in the 50s or 60s.

The second came from UC Berkeley, is tall and hairy like the first, but has a much milder scent and a bigger flower with the lower lobes fully forward and presented. The JLH form has the lower lobes deflexed backwards.

The third form seems derived from the second and is a low grower, with the same flower and scent.

These Salvia urica forms set seed fairly easily.

• sarahbn
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information on the names and scents I think the meyeri rhinosina has quite a strong smell like cat pee,But it's hardy in my zone.

• grower17
    17 years ago

For reference, here are two photos of Salvia concolor, grown in a shady location.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    17 years ago

How is your Salvia garden growing for you this year, Matias?

Joseph

• voodoobrew
    13 years ago

My salvia concolor plant isn't too happy. The leaves are yellowish. I have it in a fairly shady area, perhaps too moist. Should I move it somewhere drier/ sunnier?

Seems like all I do lately is move unhappy plants around... sigh. This is what I get for breaking out of the mold and trying to grow "rare" plants, haha.

• wcgypsy
    13 years ago

Ah yes...but have you killed corrugata 3 times?

• voodoobrew
    13 years ago

HA! Yes, I recently found one dead S. corrugata. I was very upset about it, too (but I have another). This was how I discovered that not all of my sprinklers were working properly... I moved the deceased into a pot to see if it will resurrect, LOL.

• robinmi_gw
    13 years ago

Salvia concolor likes some shade, it does not tolerate too much sunshine. It also is very thirsty, and needs lots of water. In Mexico it grows beside streams, and has even been seen under a waterfall.

Voodoobrew, check your S. concolor for spidermite and aphids, they seem to love this species as much as they love S. dombeyi.

S. corrugata is also a thirsty plant, needing some shade.

• voodoobrew
    13 years ago

Yes, it was a spider mite problem! Thank you, Robin. I have blasted them with water, and will keep that area better watered, in the hopes of getting rid of them (they prefer dry areas, or so I've read). I hope it's not too late! The plant is still on the small side.

Sponsored