Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to bring pineapple sage inside?

Posted by robertbirder z6b/7a DC (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 5, 10 at 9:29

I'd like to leave my pineapple sage outside as long as possible. It is the only thing blooming as daytime temps here drop to low 40s, and nighttime to 30. Mid20s will kill likely the stems and leaves, but can I wait and dig up the roots then, or would it be too late? If I try to beat the killing frost, is the plant likely to bloom inside during winter? Thanks, any advice appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to bring pineapple sage inside?

If the plant is shocked by either cold or severe cutting back, it will probably not bloom very much, even in a greenhouse. It takes a lot of time and momentum for good floral stems to develop. The bast bet is to dig it up and carefully prune it back, leaving stems that have buds that are about to bloom. You can tell if buds are going to emerge by looking at the tip and noticing that there are many more small pairs of leaves, and by pinching the bud lightly to feel the beginning of the bud by the relative thickness to ordinary tips.

Try to move the plant to an environment that is not radically different from the outdoor conditions, or there will be a lot of leaf drop.

Don't over water and over fertilize.

o
RE: when to bring pineapple sage inside?

Every year I would buy a pineapple sage plant from garden center.
3 years in a row it never survived the winter. In spring 2009 I bought
another one (only $4), but this time planted it very close to my brick
house. Too my surprise it came back up this year. We had snow last
winter too. It bloomed beautifully this fall. Hopefully it will survive
again this winter.

One thing about pineapple sage, it is not easy to collect the seed. You
have to look for the little dried up flowers. I think I collected maybe
9 seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here