Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?

I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt. Emory" or A. regla 'Warnock's Choice'/ Seed or plant. Does anyone grow them or know a nursery that carries them?

Comments (9)

• rich_dufresne
    9 years ago

Add me to the list of persons wanting this plant. The Big Bend plants are at the hardiest range for Salvia reglas.

There may be nurseries in Texas that may have them.

• robinmi_gw
    9 years ago

They used to grow Mt. Emory at Cabrillo College, California. Maybe they will have it at their sale this year.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I saw them in Texas maybe 15 years ago but I have not seen them lately. Believe me I look .I am almost tempted to go out and climb Mt Emory looking for them . Unfortunately most of the seeds have all dropped off my dried up flowers. I bet they drop quicker there.

• rich_dufresne
    9 years ago

Have you looked for `Warnock's Choice' as well?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, All I ever find is "Jame". I think your baby ate them all.

• rich_dufresne
    9 years ago

I fear that many varieties will disappear, which is why I want some of the Big Bend forms. I'm seeing this with the purple guaranitica x gesneriflora hybrids. Lots of places are discontinuing Purple Majesty, Betsy's Choice, and Jean's Purple Passion for Amistad. Someone has to keep these older forms going to keep the gene pool going.

Where are the new hybrids going to come from without preservation of old forms? Someone needs to do with perennials what farmers are doing with Apples and Tomatoes.

This passion for the present to the neglect of the future and past is in part a linguistic function. English makes clear distinctions with its verb tense forms, separating past, presence, and especially future. There are a number of Asian languages that do not do this, and this is intertwined with their philosophies.

The most recent TED Radio Hour was on money, and the second section featured behavioral economist Keith Chen doing Could Your Language Affect Your Ability To Save Money?

Here is a link that might be useful: Could Your Language Affect Your Ability To Save Money?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I Thank you for the link. I will get back to that when my husband finishes his Master and Margherita recording.It is interesting what you say about languages. I agree. MY first Language was Thai or Siamese as it was known then ( kind of dates me). The verbs stayed the same and one stated the condition as an addition. Learning English was confusing. They did not have a word for AND either. I got sent to the principles office due to the fact that I categorically refused to say the word "and". I could not make sense of it. There was no rational reason for its existence. The teacher could not give me an understandable reason for it. She made me say each letter and I made the sounds but would not say the word. I was a tad pigheaded. well after my mother came into the office and threatened me with bodily injury if I didn't say each AND every AND when it appeared on the paper. LO and behold, a flood gates of ands ensued from me. The added complexity of a well used "and" was very fascinating. Maybe with your concept of language this might lead to More and more as a function applied over past, present AND future. LOL. it is very different in emphasis to past , present , future.

I am much more drawn to the clear species. I should try the Nursery out in Medina Texas. I can go ask around some of the growers here. Otherwise a trip to the Big Bend is in the offing.

• rich_dufresne
    9 years ago

The third gene pool that is represented in the trade is based on reglas that were collected by Fred Boutin, then at the Huntington Library and Botanical Garden. in Queretaro. This is hardy in USDA Zone 7. I suspect the selection known as the Huntington form is a cross of a Big Bend with the Queretaro form growing together in the same bed there.

Other sages in the same section that are in the trade but hard to find are sessei, libanensis, and possibly pubescens. I don't think anyone has collected betulifolia, since this comes from near Copper Canyon, much nearer the Pacific Coast. I'm guessing betulifolia is a lot like the Jame selection I collected.

I searched for images of S. regla and came up with a possible Texas source. It is a wholesale operation, but they might let you know who they sell to. While they list it as a Texas native, I'd check to see what variety it is. They misspelled the name, so that may be why you did not turn it up on a search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Search Farms

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paul McNeal grows or has wholesale S. Regala also and he is outside of Austin. HMMMM, I wonder if the guys are selling plugs to each other. I will drop him a line.

Here is a link that might be useful: McNeal Growers.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington