Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collecting Salvia seeds

Posted by jblum z6 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 05 at 10:33

I live in zone 6/7, and I'm wondering if my Salvia Lady in Red will reseed if I leave the seeds in the ground, or do I need to bring the seeds indoors (as I do with Basil) because the cold will kill them. We have already had a few freezing nights, but nothing cooler than mid-20s. I assume that if I need to bring them in, they should still be good as of now...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collecting Salvia seeds

I think that if the seeds had started to ripen and were at least a moderate to deep brown, you have a chance. Fully grown green seeds shrink a bit during ripening to the usual glossy black, indicating loss of moisture. I assume that the final phase of enzyme formation takes place during the drying out. These reducing enzymes are needed to start germination on rehydration.

Watch out for mold during the curing and drying of your collected seed and do not save seed with mold on it.

o

I have trouble timing the collection of salvia seeds. Ususally it doesn't take long for them to drop out of the pods. It's hard to catch that perfect time because the pods are ususally empty when I try. Any secret to figuring that out?

Question to Rich on the mold thing. It is understandable it should be a bad thing. I was reading on the Rose forum that mold is good on rose seeds. It helps with the stratification. Not sure if that was the exact term. But something with the bacteria enzimes helps break down the coating on the seeds and it will germinate better. Any possibilities it could be the same for salvia seeds?

o

Not likely. The gelatinous coat washes off after a few days, and the mold spores will disperse with it, infecting other seeds in the germinating media.

GA3 (giberrelic acid) hastens germination in xeric sages. Some respond to smoke water treatment as well. California and South African sages are good examples. Some of the sages from colder areas like central Asia and China may respond to stratification (alternation between just below to just above freezing). Subtropical sages usually germinate within 5 - 14 days at 75 - 80 degrees F.

Seeds will stay in their calyxes 1 - 3 days after ripening. If you can't find any black, shiny seeds (maximum of four) inside the calyxes, watch out for birds and/or ants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here