Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do these salvias have other names?

Posted by riverrelaxn85 zone 9a-b (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 3, 10 at 16:10

Hello all!! I bought some seed a while back and i am just looking for a quick answer if anyone has one for me. Some of the names that were given to me are a little hard to find information on. Do any of these salvias have alternate names associated with them? And, does anyone have any quick growing guides for these plants?

S. macrochlamys
S. rumnicifolia
S. scabiosifolia

thanks ahead of time!!!

Brent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do these salvias have other names?

As far as I know, S. macrochlamys is a species from Turkey, with pink/purple flowers. I have never seen it.

You probably mean S. rumicifolia, which is a synonym for S. sagittata.......though some botanists consider this to be a separate species. S. sagittata can appear in various forms and flower colour variations.

I had S. scabiosifolia years ago, it is from eastern Europe, and I recall it being rather weedy, and not very ornamental.

Hope this helps,

Robin.

o

Thanks Robin. I got a large seed collection for someone a while back, and im still going through it and checking it for correct labelling. Not for them, but to make sure it wasnt a scam. Most are true.

o

Hmm... I found 2 pictures of S. rumicifolia which look quite different from S. sagittata. Looks like you might have a very interesting plant from Ecuador -- don't lose those seeds! :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16819975@N08/4231084354/

http://www.morley-read.com/flora/lamiaceae/source/salvia_pichicinchesis.html

o

well.....Very interesting! It looks like these may get the UCR greenhouse germination treatment just to find out what they are?!?!

Brent

o

i made a deal with the UCRBG head, who just happens to be one of my advisors, to be able to germinate all of the salvia seed from this and many others in a nice and warm temperature controlled greenhouse. Only for a donation of some of my collection. So, i will have them to validate for spring!!!! This will be fun. I cant wait to see what i have.

Brent

o

Brent:

The possibility of a second Salvia Summit, not necessarily at Cabrillo College, may be picking up steam. I know that the people who ran the first one are working to see if resources are available.

o

Rich,

Keep me posted on that one. Im interested.

Brent

o

Here is a picture of salvia macrophylla x sagittata seed(top left), salvia sagittata (top right) and salvia rumicifolia (bottom). Sorry all have blue flowers. Not a new and exciting red form. But it does have slightly shorter internodes.

Brent

Here is a link that might be useful: three pots

o

I have pictures of the flowers now. (S. rumicifolia) They are a little darker in color. More purple. If anyone wants to see them just email me.

Brent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here