Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia Madrensis

Posted by phoebe1969 z8CA (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 3, 05 at 16:54

I purchased a plant earlier this year and put it in a deep raised bed. It got quite large and was budding when we got our first bad temperatures - it was 28* and it damaged all the foliage. I then covered it at nights in case these temps returned. I noticed that the square stems have split from the freeze and I had not cut the tips or branches. Will the root stock come back if I keep it mulched and cover the top still. I read what Betsy said about hers and realize that this is a guide line as there are always variables in conditions. If it makes it I hope that it would bloom sooner as a more established plant. She said she cuts her back after a bloom also. Anyone with advice I appreciate it. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia Madrensis

As long as the original cutting had a node under the soil line, it should put out short stolons that will eventually form a clump. The one I saw at the Huntington Botanical Garden in the 80s was so big that parking a small pickup truck over the cut back bed would not totally cover it.

You can control its size, of course. If you are not sure if there is a subterranean node, plant it deeper and add some mulch (hardwood bark is best.)

Bloom time is controlled by average daytime temperatures. The length of the period of coolish autumn days is the determining factor. The longer this period is, the sooner autumn and winter blooming sages will flower out. The worst condition is to have a long, hot summer and go to winter conditions over less than 14 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here