Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinmi_gw

Spidermite on Salvias

robinmi_gw
14 years ago

Has anyone tried the "hotbox sulfume" in attempting to get rid of this most horrible bug???

Thinking of purchasing one in spring, would like to hear any comments about this.

Robin.

Comments (12)

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Robin:

I have problems every year with Datura,Asclepias,Some Salvia etc...I have used Safer "Insect killing soap"
    (Potassium salts of fatty acids)it has Seaweed extract in it and is a organic product. Very effective against Red Spider mites(Tetranychus urticae). Do know which Spider mite you have?Is it the European Red Mite?
    Art

• robinmi_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it is the European one.

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

Robin, I'm not sure I'd want sulfur vapors as a mite treatment. The sulfur will eventually oxidize and generate acid. I'd go with the Safer soap. Seaweed extract also inhibits mites, and also feeds the plants. It should not have negative effects on plants.

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Robin:
    I understand that your mite can be reduced to minimal levels by a spraying Horticultural Oil or a Dormant Oil as it kills the eggs in winter.Then any that survive can be killed by the insect kiling soap.
    The European mite overwinters on woody plants Apples,Maples,Roses,etc they will lay their eggs on a Plant that was not infested in the previous summer months.
    Another control method is using other insects to eat these
    pest. Here is a list of beneficial insects that eat mites :
    1)Predaceous mites (Amblyseius fallaus) these last two
    mites eat all stages of European Red Mite (Agistemus fleshneri & Zetzellia) they muliply quickly at 21 degrees Celsius . Then other options are Ladybird beetle we call them ladybugs (Coccinella septempunctata)Larva and pupa stages eat more than the adult, they will eat aphids also.Lacewing aka Aphid lion (Chrysoperia carnea).These
    have the added benefit of no chemical residues left behind
    for you or your pets.
    Art

• jimcrick
    14 years ago

Hi Robin

http://carnations.org.uk/articles/hotbox-sulfume has a few interesting comments.

Greens Horticulture which sells the Hotbox says that it has an unknown effect on red spider mite that seems to put them off their food.

You could try dynamite.

Jim

• robinmi_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah!

• robinmi_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tried to send a follow-up, but it got lost.

Were you joking about dynamite, or were you referring to Dynamec, which contains avamectin (probable incorrect spelling)? This is allegedly 100% effective in controlling spidermite, but not available to us amateurs. BUT...may have found a source...will advise!

BTW your lavanduloides is spectacular in the greenhouse, albeit very late.

Robin.

• jimcrick
    14 years ago

Robin

As it would appear that Hotbox puts them off their food. I thought perhaps you could over-feed them (Dine-a-mite)as another way to beat the blighters.

Hadn't heard of Dynamec but it sounds interesting.

Glad you like the lavenduloides - a small individual flower but such a lovely blue.

Jim

• robinmi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Five years on.....I did manage to obtain Dynamec, but you must be so careful when using this, not to get any spray on your skin, or inhale the vapours. But I have almost succeeded with the expensive predators....which can be obtained via Amazon, forget the name, just google spidermite predators. This seems to work very well, provided the temperature is not below 12C/54F.

Takes a couple of weeks.

Last two years, I have found the Salvias which get most affected are Wendy's Wish, Ember's Wish, dombeyi, fulgens, large splendens, Amistad, and concolor. Also my new Salvia benthamiana.

Capsid bug is another thing...once you see the distorted leaves, the blighters are gone!

Robin.

• rich_dufresne
    9 years ago

Has anyone tried neem oil?

Here is a link that might be useful: Neem oil uses

• kermitc
    9 years ago

Neem oil has demonstrated a great deal of phytotoxicity for us on Salvias. Same with Safers soap. Some species are OK, others damaged somewhat severely.

• 1steamer
    9 years ago

I have tried everything on my lady pot plants-I didnt want to grow out doorsbut found lastmarch-april I took infected plantsand soaked them in gallons of neeam oil and that did the trick-plus I never thought of them flowering in less then 10 days and picked a nice little crop-3ounces out doors when it was or got hot in june.My bedroomwith 2 big kitchen cabs for small plants and to rooms for grouth with 4-20 watts blueflourenence lights-works great and a room with 150 watt quad ledlight-maked very tight buds worksgreat for 4 1 foot plants that are 4 months old that i lst them-not take the whole new tops off but 3 quarters everytime there 1 quarter inch-they just keep growing more branches-supprize how bubba kush -1 ft tall gave me a ounce and I am doing-growing 7 in cabinate in bathroom in front of toilet-no spider mites here yet-2months--I spray bayer 3-1 in big cab on front inside and on planters every 3 days doorsopen in day time-I have comet of floorr raise up.The only way is to burn the house down or use--avid-with fansblowing-2 fans on high with gloves to your elbows and long sleeve sweatshirt. bandanna on face and head and construction safty googles-use once after bombing the house 3 times in a week.neam oil every 3-4 days.I used garlic oil hanging around and garlec on plants..I am not sure if I have them or not but will wait until summer to grow in bedroom-i waited ayear and oneplantswascovered in les1month-i was spraying once a week-they won-goodluck to all-I will readaboutsulfer-also moth balls but the stems see ya steamer--very happy outside-mites3 yearsw sleeping and eating inside steamer veg resurant for spooted spider mites. shake your plant with paper plater below and put under light-watch for 30 seconds-if those little dots move -then you have to move it sure seems god bless Steamer

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations