Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My unknown

Posted by Cait1 VIC Aust (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 05 at 18:53

Purchased as S hians though it's not - the lower lip is a true purple compared to the reddish purple tube. (The pic doesn't show the color variation unfortunately.) But the underside (or external side) of the lower lip is white (second pic). The leaves are somewhat hastate, grass green above and silvery beneath. Can this be S przewalskii? Whatever it is, I really like it, especially the blue-tipped stamen.
(click on pics to enlarge image)

Cait

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My unknown

The Salvia hians I grew once, from seed obtained from P. Kohli & Sons in Srinagar, India, had the color of that in your images, and was two-toned, with a bluish-purple tube and a purer shade of blue for the lower lip. The flower was quite large, big enough to admit a bumblebee, about 1.2 cm wide and 2.5 cm long.

S. przewalskii is a lot smaller, and very variable. It does better for me in subtropical North Carolina.

Lots of salvia flowers show the feature of the exterior backside of the lips being a different color, usually with less pigment. The part of the flower hiding inside of the calyx usually lacks pigment as well, but not always.

o
RE: My unknown

Cait,

That's an awesome salvia, if you get spare seeds I'd be first in line to trade. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Joseph

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here