Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rich_dufresne

New address for NYBG Vascular Plant Types Catalog

rich_dufresne
18 years ago

I finally found the new address for the New York Botanical Garden Vascular Plant Types Catalog. It now has the capability of downloading your search as an Excel .csv file. I think there were entries for 302 different Salvias. Most have images.

Here is a link that might be useful: NYBG Vascular Plant Types Catalog

Comments (5)

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

Richard, How can you see much in these back & white pictures?
    Maybe I don't know exactly what I should look at in the absence of color?

Did you get my reply to your email? I posted a picture & an Agastache question for you. I'm thinking that the mail didn't get to you cause of the attachment.

Rose

• rich_dufresne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am not sure of what you mean by black and white image, so I have gone through a step by step search for a couple sages.

When I do my search using Salvia in the section called Scientific name using the box typed `genus', I get a list of 25 different type herbarium sheet specimens. For instance, I just clicked on Salvia cochabensis Rusby ( type ). The data page for this type specimen pops up. If I click on the thumbnail, I get the full-sized digital photo of the herbarium sheet. The color of these sheets is usually off-white to tan, and the mounted specimens some shade of brown. If a flower is on the sheet, most of the color is usually gone.

In this case, I can see a nearly opened flower at the top if the mounted sprig. Interpolating from my memory of similar sized salvia flowers and remembering that this is a dried specimen, I would try to get the folks at Yucca-Do to collect it. As it turns out, this plant is a synonym for S. orbignaei, already in cultivation in Austin, Texas and used by Petra Wester for research at the University of Mainz. Robert Middleton has one of the hybrids of this species with S. haenkei on his gallery as Salvia Petra. See:
    http://www.robinssalvias.com/gallery4.shtm

The second image is of Salvia betulifolia Epling var. chasmema Reveal & W. J. Hess, which has some color. See:
    http://207.156.243.8/emu/vh/specimen.php?irn=597139 and
    http://207.156.243.8/emuwebnybg/pages/common/imagedisplay.php?irn=70679

If these images are the ones you investigated, I have anticipated a solution with my Living Herbarium images, which I use on my web page. I hope to use these for art as well as for botanic illustrations. Hopefully, I can capture all the taxonomic details and more with these images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia cochabensis Rusby

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

I've been clicking & I do believe that the link you listed was the only colored one on that site. That is more like it!
    What does it say about me as a foliage gardener if the brown flowers leave me cold, but the colored ones leave me excited?
    I think your idea to show color images is a great one. The brown flowers are like going to a boring lecture, they seem kind of "dry".

Rose

• rich_dufresne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've attached an image of a typical flat bed scan of a sage. This one is Salvia caudata, formerly known only as El Cielo Blue.

I believe these kind of images would be of greater value to the horticulturalist. The main reason dried specimens are used are because they are stable over time, and measurements can be made uniformly. With the advent of digital imagery, I think there is room for my kind of image as well.

These are intermediate between the herbarium specimens and digital photos. Like herbarium sheets, they are basically 2 dimensional, which allows for scaling with a ruler, something hard to do with a 3 dimensional digital camera image.

Opinions?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1250651}}

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

Hi,
    Much easier for my eye to see & doesn't look like anything is lost in the translation. I can imagine the three dimensional picture from this scanned view & appreciate the ability to see true size by rendering it in two dimensions. That's often the problem with the camera image, it's been difficult to compare the size of flowers - unless they're at either extreme. For instance, I've never seen a picture of Salvia nilotica where the flowers look anything but small!

Rose

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA