Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf23

pineapple sage

moonwolf23
19 years ago

i recently got the territorial seed catalog. In it they said pineapple sage is a hardy perenial to zone 5. How true is that if you don't mind me asking? I've heard it hardy at zone 9 but not up in zone 5.

Comments (16)

• sarahbn
    19 years ago

It's not hardy at all. I buy a small plant each spring around April or the beginning of May. Sarah

• CA Kate z9
    19 years ago

When we lived in Connecticut I bought a new plant every Spring, but never, ever got one to bloom before it got too cold. They are deffinetly a Tender Perennial.

• nckvilledudes
    19 years ago

It can be hardy in zone 7a with proper planting and protection.

• gardenpaws_VA
    19 years ago

My sister in Annapolis MD has a pineapple sage that was blooming until the very cold snap we had before Christmas 2004. She said it had wintered over in 2003-04, so you could check lows for that area, that period, then allow a little extra for the microclimate. It's in a bed surrounded by sidewalk, and next to a tiny pool.

• shays
    19 years ago

My pineapple sage bloomed up until Christmas, it started blooming in early September. Supposedly, it's hardy in zone 7 (I'm in NC), so I cut it back and mulched it, will see this spring. I saved seeds, are these easy to propagate from seed? Would appreciate hearing from anyone whose tried this. I've read to take cuttings, but didn't :-(

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Mine bit the dust after the first freeze.
    i do think it can take a couple of hours of frost or a light freeze and can be revived but otherwise it is doomed.

Penny

• MrsDay
    19 years ago

Where can I find pineapple sage in the spring? I never see it here!

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Mrs. Day
    You can usually find pineapple sage at locally owned nurseries in the section where they have the herb plants. in my area they are usually only sold in small 3 inch pots but they grow extremely fast. I repot mine as soon as I bring them home and they take off. This year I will be trying some seed I managed to collect from mine last year at the very end of the season. I have never seen them at places like walmart, home depot or lowes. I am outside of Buffalo NY.

penny

• lboyce
    19 years ago

I just received some pineapple sage seeds but don't have a clue how to start them. I had a huge plant this past summer which the hummers loved! I read somewhere where you can over winter it in a basement. I found it at a local nursery in the herb section. Couldn't keep my nose out of the plant..the pineapple smell was delicious!

Anyone ever start these seeds? Sure would appreciate some helpful hints...

Linda

• penny1947
    19 years ago

I just sowed mine this week. I am trying them via the wintersowing method. It will be the first time I have worked with the seeds.

Penny

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Linda, I usually surface sow my salvia seeds. I soak the soil and let it drain really well and then drop the seeds on the surface and mist them really well to make good contact with the soil. I found that most of the salvias i have grown need light for best germination.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

I have also saved about half of my seed to spring sow as a precaution.

Penny

• oldroser
    19 years ago

I've over-wintered this indoors for five or six years now. It blooms all winter in a sunny window and then goes out in late May. Generally it roots wherever it touches the ground so I bring in a small plant but last fall it was just the old potted plant that came in and it's doing fine. Nice to pinch a leaf when passing by. Also inside and flowering is Coral Nymph.

• Marian_2
    19 years ago

I took cuttings from mine last fall . I have one that 'took' and is growing indoors . I doubt if the original survived the winter . Time will tell . I mulched it well .

• AngelicalTick
    19 years ago

I have pineapple sage that returns every year. I live in Arkansas zone 7. Love the fragrance.

• ric_oregon
    19 years ago

Last winter I lost all three of mine, had them for many years. The good news is that the new ones bloomed in the spring right after planing them. Never have I seen them bloom in spring.

After this winter all of them are showing signs of life. They had no protection. Have them in containers and the ground. Even the ones in gallon containers, the ones that were spose to come in the garage, are growing. I will be giveing some away this summer for sure. Hope they bloom in the spring again.

Sponsored