Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions regarding salvia elegans

Posted by malcolm.green none (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 20:06

Hello fellow gardeners

This year I planted a pineapple sage nearby my japanese maple and fell in love with its aroma and general appearance. The red flower spikes also attracted the most butterflies of any of my plants this year.

To the point- I live in zone 8a, recently upgraded from 7b. I wanted to know if I can expect my sage to come back again in the spring. As of now, it's about a 3' wide 3' tall woody skeleton with no leaves... Is it normal for this to happen during a cold period? Is it deciduous in my zone? Or should I plan on purchasing another to grow as an annual this year?

Thanks for any tips/advice!
Malcolm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions regarding salvia elegans

I am in a warm 7b, and I keep Salvia elegans in pots. In pots the habit of Pineapple sage is to send out new shoots around the same time it blooms. So I like to keep the new shoots frost free. Lots of gardeners treat it as an annual, and some complain that the blooms are gone by early fall. Cuttings really root very easily.

The photo was taken 28 November, I wheel the pots out of my barn, most days during winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: S. elegans

This post was edited by desertsage on Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 8:25

o

Mine have survived at least ten years in zone 8b, in heavy, wet clay soil without any pampering, pruning, or special care. They look exactly like you describe after the first hard frost- a (soft) woody skeleton.

o

That's interesting that your potted pineapple sage tends to send out new shoots around the time it blooms... I planted mine in the ground April of this year and it created a huge amount of foliage before the blooms finally came around mid August. I'm excited to see how big it will get as the years go on. It was one of those impulse buys I didn't think much of and turned out to be one of my favorites.

Thanks for the reassurance basil. Mine are planted in heavy clay too and it seemed to thrive this entire year.

o

What part of the USA are each of you located? It makes a difference if you are in an arid or subtropical area, since moisture content of air has a big effect on nighttime temperatures, which in turn have a big effect on hardiness.

o

I'm in N. California Sierra Nevada foothills. Typically very damp in winter, very dry in summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here