Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Question

Posted by ctnchpr (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 20, 07 at 20:21

I have some cuttings from 2 varieties of Salvia that I'm overwintering. They're all healthy and growing, the red variety is actually blooming. For the remainder of the Winter, should they be kept in: 1) an unheated utility room with a bright, north-facing window, temps stay in the 50-60 degree range, or 2) a heated room with a bank of south-facing windows and Gro lights for cloudy days? TIA

I'm going to snip off the blooms after Christmas.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Question

I'm not sure if these are coccineas or more likely, a microphylla. I would definitely go with the warm sunny room with the gro lites because they do not have roots. Definitely remove the flowers, since they will sap the energy that should go to root development

Do not root in water, but use a sterile porous and damp rooting media. Bottom heat will speed up rooting. When they have been potted up and growing has resumed, then they can go into the cooler room

o

rich d, Thanks for taking the time to reply.

o

Have to say that I have some pineapple sage sitting in a glass of water on my kitchen window sill with a very extensive root system. And a couple of flowers. Hope to get it potted up - maybe today? The Golden Delicious pineapple sage, that I rooted in a glass of water and then potted, is now a very substantial plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here