Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia greggii Lipstick

Posted by rich_dufresne z7 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 23:44

Here is an image of Salvia greggii Lipstick, taken at the J. C. Raulston Arboretum on November 17, 2012. It had performed very well most of the late summer and autumn.

It has done this well for many years. The location is in the xeric bed in full sun, in berms with good drainage and topped off with pellets of expanded slate/shale.

There are other S. greggiis there that have done well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia greggii Lipstick

I have just germinated seeds of this, great to see that it
isnt a namby pamby greggii..

o

It didn't persist more than a couple of years for me - a cold wet February/March a couple of years ago took it out. It looks great with the Agave.

o

I have this S.greggii Lipstick for 6 years, persisted down to 0 degree lots of shade until the Palo Verde it lived under died. Same 0 degree that the S. greggii survived. Now in dappled shade really well drained soil. Still in bloom today 7 Dec.

And now the question, I see your centers have a lot more white, does this look like the true cultivar.

This post was edited by desertsage on Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 12:40

o

The red and white coloring is changeable on the plant, sometimes more white and sometimes more red. I think it may be temperature sensitive, but I'm not sure.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 14:28

I love the brilliant color in its flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here