Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia involucrata x `Merwyn Gardens'

Posted by rich_dufresne z7 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 8, 11 at 23:46

Can anyone tell me about Salvia involucrata x `Merwyn Gardens', such as its parents and where it came from? What are its outstanding features? I think it is from the SF - Oakland Bay area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia involucrata x `Merwyn Gardens'

I have this one [called "MARWIN Gardens"], haven't seen any flowers yet. Maybe it will bloom this winter? Parentage is unknown, though S. wagneriana has been implicated. I would definitely guess S. karwinskii, as well. I'm not sure that S. involucrata has been implicated, but Kathy at Cabrillo might know? Kermit has it on his site now, see link below.

More photos here:
http://taste.ecrater.com/p/3290548/salvia-marwin-gardens-11-seeds-giant

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia x Marwin Gardens

o

No definitive info - just hearsay available from most sources. We've grown it for two plus years now as 'Marwin Gardens'. It is similar to wagneriana in floral characteristics, but by no means identical. The plant habit is different as well - more compact, larger, rounder leaves of a very different color and veination and MUCH slower growing. It acts like a pentaploid.

We grew out some seeds from it and they are all identical, not what one would expect from a hybrid. The fact that it sets seed at all flies in the face of claims that it is a hybrid.

I'm uploading early bloom pictures to my Flickr site. Give it a bit as is currently uploading. If you don't know the site, just send me email.

Nice, densely branched and leaved pink flowered Winter Salvia. That's what I'd call it. Very nice.

o

The foliage looks a lot more like wagneriana or involucrata to me, and the flower spike looks more like karwinskii in the photos I've seen so far.

o

I have 'Marwin Gardens' grown from seed and my foliage is more
karwinskii then wagneriana or involucrata, I just query the earlier question about hybrids setting seeds, on some salvias
they do and some they dont,I have a salvia African hybrid that
the foliage resembles namaensis and the flowers scabra it sets
seeds and I have sown them and thus far the foliage resembles
the plant so diviation thus far,the biggest hybrid seed setter
I know has to be the macrophylla x sagittata the foliage
is sagittata and the flowers macrophylla, this baby is not
shy in setting seeds just like the macrophylla so some hybrids set and some dont I guess, the mystery of the salvia:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here