Return to the Sansevieria Forum

o
Sanseveria growing contest!!!.... Read all about it!!!

Posted by hijole 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 16, 12 at 1:30

"Grower on the West Coast challenges grower from Northern California"

Both are set to see who can get their Sanseveria bantel's sensation to begin New growth to begin first.

We have hijole A K A Greg challenging greenman A K A Josh to a contest, It's the first of its kind and we are asking that all members freely participate and feel free to sit on any corner of the ring.

This has never been done in garden webs history And we want everyone to know that this is being done on behalf of having fun and fun only, there will be no placing of bets or gambling of any amount during this contest and we are only inviting members who are willing to have a good time and enjoy themselves in the process.

From the West Coast we have a sans bantel's sensation which entered this contest with no prior experience in growing Sanseverias and his plant had no root system insight.

The contender from Northern California having a plant with a root system already established immediately took on the challenger saying, "Bring it on!!! And even offered the challenger some growing tips and how toos for these certain species, both contestants have been freely giving each other updates on there plant condition and they're ready to square off this Spring when the anticipated growing season is expected.

Again this is all for fun, F U N and nothing more than just a learning experience and then some.

Remember anyone and everyone can participate give help or share your own experience with this species and what worked for you and what didn't.

West Coast. Vs. Northern California

Hope to see you there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sanseveria growing contest!!!.... Read all about it!!!

And growing out of the green corner, from the rustic foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains,
the Greenman and his Bantel Sans! With no prior experience growing Sansevieria, the contenders
are on equal footing! Come witness the Sans-extravaganza! ;-)

May both plants be victorious!

Josh

o

I guess in winter, some entertainment is better than none. And I thought I was alone here. BTW Where are the pictures of the plants befor you guys can start. We want to see just what progress you guys are doing.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Pictures of mine I bought at Bob Smoley's. They are in a plastic pot inside of that planter. So you see that I have only a few months on you guys. So I'm in with a head start. Ha Ha.

o

Josh, looks like we have challenger already in line for the next bout, looks like one of us will have our hands full for the next year or so.
My pictures are coming I'm out of town at the moment and I was instructed how to post my pics so get ready, GET READY!!!

Hey stush are yours indoors or indoors and what's your climate like there ? Yours are looking healthy right now, I can't answer for Josh but if you want to cut off your roots and jumb in the ring with us we could call it the ultimate round and no holds bared.

Did you purchase yours in that container or have you since repotted also what kind of soil our you using?

Greg

o

Sorry stush, outdoors or indoors?
Also does anyone know where this species originated and how big and or wide they grow, they sure add some nice color to the garden and I have mixed them with other similar color shades like a snow flake species but had to separate them for the competition. Because of the weather conditions but once the match is over I plan on uniting them again.

Question: if this sans. Is known to root in pure pumice would it be ok to grow them with some cacti mix along with a large amount of pumice once they root and are ready to be potted up ? Instead of 100% pumice, anyone ever tried something like that before.

Greg

o

No sorry,

Cacti & Sans. have different watering & sun requirements, not a good idea to combine plants in pots w/ other plants who don't share the same cultural requirements.

o

Hmmm. I may have to get pics of mine. It has not been the easiest Sans for me. If conditions are good, it does fine but it is not forgiving of lesser conditions/extremes. Mine only has two nice growth points at the moment.....I will have to get pics. I do occasionally get all green pups that I need to cull out.
Stush and I are on the east coast......definately inside plants for us (it was 10F outside the night before last!!).

o

A change to fresh mix will jump start them. My San. collection are still coming into flower, they think they are in Africa. I have new growth at this time on 'Bantel's Sensation' Your suggestion of the mix is great for me, I have used it for years, Yes I always add pumice or perlite to the Cactus mix for all of my plants if I don't they rot. I live in the San Fernando Valley 5 miles from Downtown Burbank down to 41F tonight. I give mine more sun then you do, I have two forms of this plant both growing next to each other.

o

Hey, all!

19F here this morning! Very chilly for my neck of the woods!

Josh

o

Ok, I have been growing sans for over 40 years and until this thread, I have learned more in the past 6 months. As you can see, my potting soil is all wrong. I am going to repot all my sans this spring. I don't want to disturb them now. This is the time of year I loose those delicate kinds. I purchased 4 Sans. Tri~BS with limited roots. Maybe 2 inches of rhizome on each stock. More than enough to get them started but only during our summer. They are in the warmest room of my house 1 foot from a west facing window. So far so good. New growth is starting with almost no watering. I don't take my own advise and it shows. My pot is too large. Boy do I wish they grew like Trifasciata Futura types. They can grow on rocks in Alaska. (Just kidding). Trifasciata Forescate I find even harder. Norma grew over 500 of them for the Huntington. No secret. Just follow her lead.
Also Sansevieria Trifasciata Bantel�s Sensation was discovered by Gustav E. Bantel. Date patent granted May 20, 1948. Somewhere in the mid west I think.

o

Good morning plant Lovers,

Pirate girl, ( Karen ) good to hear from you and thanks for joining us on this thread and your experience is appreciated in this matter your comment on not mixing incompatible species is a good point seeing they both have different cultural needs.

Woodnative, thanks for all your input, I've heard many already mentioning the challenge this species can be and how the conditions are everything. Indoors is difinately a key to avoid sure death in colder conditions that I've noticed already they will not tolerate.
Wow 10 f. Last night brrrrr.... O yeah cull out, our you removing or what is cull out?

Norma.... I was really hoping you'd show up to this event, it wouldn't be the same without you thanks :) your mix along with your contribution to the Hunington speaks volumes and most likely will be utilized by many visiting.
You mentioned they were coming into flower and new growth, sorry for the silly question but do these send out flowers ?

Stush, Wow!!! 40 years of growing this type of sans. And every year with the wrong soil, well you must have been doing some things right because you didn't lose them and the pictures you provided look nice too, and I like the rails you provided them to keep from falling do they tend to be a little limp as far as their texture and will they be ok outside in cold weather once they've matured or do they need to be brought in for the winter?
Also thanks for the history on Gustav E. Bantel.

Anyone know if these species will grow tall or what is their normal height , mine are only about 2ft tall right now.

And by the way Josh mine are looking better ever since the day I've brought them indoors from the garage which was still chilly and cold. Boy these plants actually wouldn't complain if you gave them a blanket at night LOL... Someone said they were a very sensitive species boy that's for sure.

A little update on mine, since they've been brought indoors the leafs have become stronger and have really firmed up and the white color has improved, looking whiter.

How bout yours Josh, how's your corner holding up?

One last thing today I am working on placing pictures of the kid from the West Coast. Stay tuned.

Greg
(

o

Greetings!

I'm excited to hear how difficult these seem to be, as this'll up the stakes in our contest!

Well, Greg, my plant looks as bad it always did ;-) Seriously, it hasn't changed since the
day I pulled it out of the box. However, I did snap some pics this morning for the "weigh in." Hehe...

As you can see, it's in a 4.5 inch pot in a porous, gritty mix of Fir bark, Perlite, Pumice, and Turface.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Hi All,

Sorry Greg, I misread your question. Thought you meant mix species, not mix mixes (mix & pumice).

Yes, that's fine, it's what I grow many things in. Sometimes I use some C&S mix & maybe 50% pumice which I can get, or perlite before I had pumice. Works well for many C&S as well as for Sans., you'll see, they'll like it.

o

Ok, Houston I have a problem. Actually as I was attempting to post my Sans for the Main event photo shoot everything was going fine, the pictures came out nice, but then came sending them off and down loading then uploading and then.

Look long story short I couldn't manage to complete it, but tomorow it will get done.

Be on the look out he will be here .

Greg

o

Ok, Let's see those pics.
Greg- By cull I meant cut off. Like many variegated plants they sometimes produce plain green reversions. These are stronger and need to be removed from the clump of variegated plants of they will out compete them. You could certainly put them in their own pot if you wanted too.
Stush- Kept in a warm environment with extra lights I have had no problems getting Sans to grow roots or even leaf cuttings to root and sprout even in winter. I have a small place at work I can do that. In that case I need to water often. Most of my Sans are in cooler darker conitions though and need to be kept fairly dry over winter.
Though I may not be part of the contest, I will have to get photos of my Bantel's also. Busy with a project at work so maybe not until next week.

o

Photobucket

Weighing in and looking as handsome as ever "The West Coast kid."
Hey Josh I did it finally!!! Lol this was another learning experience for me that I dont regret, get ready for more pics though cuz "I WILL Be BACK!!!"

Oh no that was Arnolds last words. I mean , " I must Break you!!!" Lol...

As you can see that one brown leaf is the results of him being in the cold and I was still adding water, but I have since brought him inside and he is totally OFF the water diet until new growth is seen, ( not till I see roots.) thanks Pirate girl.

Well this picture was taken just the other day, I brought him outside for training and it was only for a short sun bath next to one of his his trainers and it was just for the afternoon.

The pot is and old gel container filled with E.B. Stone cacti & Succulent mix and the white looking cubes is simply styro foam that I placed in there to prop up the leafs from laying down.

Quite a humble begining for this little guy but he does look pretty good for not having any roots yet, He must come from good stock Lol...

Other pictures to follow soon but this was his 1st introduction to the world as "The contender from Southern California." And weighing in at 1.5 oz. and wearing the green and white trunks.

Woodnative, Finally huh, so from your experience how does she look at a glance? And on your last comment to Stush you mentioned extra lights, was that durring the day or at night time?

Greg

o

Greg-
That is a nice robust division and you should do well with it. If it is getting good light, it will not need extra light. My home has poor windows and that combined witht he short days of winter and cool temps puts a halt to the growth of most of them over winter. A few select plants get to be put in a warm room at work under a shoplight.
My Bantel's has one nice pup above the soil line that does not have roots. If I cut that one off, and properly photodocument, I think I could be included in the race(?). Maybe Stush and others could join too. Of course this is not for those who want "instant gratification"....th contest could take at least a year to see some progress, LOL!

o

Woodnative, good to hear from you and thanks for clearing up the lighting question, I can understand that yours wasnt getting the right amount mixed with cold weather and all. I did cull out that brown leaf yesterday thinking , Hey this is what W/N does. I know you were talking about the green growth though.

Josh did you hear that, we have someone considering to jumb in and possibly others also, what do you think, after all there are no prizes we would be losing out on? Except alot of gratification Lol...

So Josh what do you think about "My Girl" (plant) Let me hear your thoughts and also how does the the kid in the green corner looking today? I like your other pots sitting around your display nice colors.

Pirate girl, Thanks also for the clarification on the soil mixes too, Pumice,perilite and cacti soil, yeah I thought at first, Ah man and I thought that would work fine to, so thank you for getting back to that and explaining.

Stush, So be honest, in your 40 years of cultivating these Sanseverias have you seen one as nice as mine or am I just a little partial to mine you think?

I have more pictures coming, right now I'm just at work and my time is always looking short but I will post more so long for now yall.

Greg and the West Coast Bantel's

o

Hey, the more the merrier!

Greg, your plant looks fantastic! Nice sharp edges, clearly defined markings, erect growth,
and fairly large! Mine looks awfully bedraggled by comparison....so I guess mine will
just have to play the under-dog in this little contest ;-)

Thanks for the compliments on the pots and plants. I have most of my plants crammed on that table and
the window-sill just beyond. Pots on pots...gotta elevate to get the light! I actually keep this Sans.
in my room, where it is least likely to be disturbed by cats or the opening and closing of window blinds.

I am concerned, however, that my plant isn't getting enough warmth, since I keep my room the coldest
in the house (I get the best sleep with cool temps and have my window cracked year-round).
Anyhow, I might relocate my Sans. to the living room with the rest of my plants.

Josh

o

Josh, my friend you must move him out of your room, everything I've heard to date is that warmth is KEY to their survival, it's actually a must. So thats my advice for the green corner and plus of course no water at least until we see new growth.

My plant was actually starting to look a little hagard too Until I brought him indoors even out of the garage, cause it was still cool in there too, so when I brought him inside one of the warmest rooms he started to actually perk up, thats actually when I started thinking " I can do this!!)

Hey so you provide theater seating for your plants to have the sun hit them thats a very good idea I'll use that tip for some of my sun starved plants too.

Well unless I hear from anyone else this day have your selves a very good weekend.

You heard Josh too, The more the merrier! So should you decide just place a picture the root condition presently and any other info. you can think of and lets have a good time here.

Greg

o

Okay some advise starting off cuttings, On variegeted plants with white, ask for 3" or more of a rhizome when buying new ones, If not you many have a chance of it reverting to green.
Also put it in the smallest pot they willl fit into, when it breaks that pot or you see established growth then pot it up again, they can rot off easily. Keep them above 55F Thats my 2cnt worth for the moment.
Remember I live on the West coast, very hot dry summers, and a cold damp winter, I must heat my greenhouse. Even here in Calif. they will get black spots if they get too much water and cold and uneven temperatures. Turning yellow may mean the the soil is worn out 0r used up. Norma

o
omeRE: Sanseveria growing contest!!!.... Read all about it!!!

Norma thanks for visiting again, I must say I do look forward to the times you do visit this thread, and I have a question about your comment, it might be silly but I'm not sure of the meaning, I have heard the same wording but really wasn't sure what it meant with clarity and that is, when you mentioned when you get your sans that had white to make sure to ask for 3" of rhizome or larger ?

What exactly is the rhizome, The leaf?

Thanks again,
Greg

o

Yeah, moved the Sans. to the living room yesterday evening....
Now we'll just cross our fingers and wait.

Josh

o

Josh good move! I think you'll fine he really appreciates the warmth more than we think. Man I meant to comment about you leaving your windows opened up at night Brrrrrrrr... do you also belong to the Polar Bear club Lol...

It was actually as low as 36 degrees for us the other night and that was cold over here, today though we have rain, good O'l rain water which I collect inorder to water my plants that require it of course.

I was actually crossing my fingers to that cold night thinking about my collection outside.

On that note is there anyone who knows just how much cold they can tolerate before they freeze over or riga-mortis sets in?

Greg

o
Rain

Hey, Greg!
We got 2-inches of rain yesterday alone! We've gotten 3-inches in the past 3 days.
How are your rain totals?

No idea how cold Sans. can tolerate, but I imagine that if they're dry they can handle
slightly lower temps and survive (as with many other succulents in dry media).

Josh

o

Hey Josh thats a good question I dont have the answer too, I do know it rained all night and right now it's sunny with scattered clouds and mild sprinkles so far today.

I was actually wondering about cacti and succulents in general because as far as the sans bantel He will not be visiting the outdoors any time soon with these cold temps.

Grewg

o

I had a feeling that once I posted a picture of my rootless sans bantel picture that I would get less attention but I had no idea ALL communication would come to a screching HALT!!! LOL....

Just to let everyone know, even though nothing has change on the surface I'm only guessing that all is well under the soil. No water has been added and I must admit that had it not been for the info. I've gathered from this site I would have already added water by now multiple times. WHEW..... And for that I owe it all to the Family here at Sanseverias for all the tips that have come from everyone here. :)

So Josh, "whats up ?" Boy this Sanseveria site literally goes into hybernation, I notice the cacti and succulent site has been jumping all this weekend. Maybe we should direct them to the sans site LOL...

Have you seen any color change since you've brought yours out of the fridge (your room.)

Boy it's been cold lately over here like 36 degrees all my succulents are turning nice colors of reds and hue shades and even though I love spring and summer the most I've been learning to appreciate the winter season for the colors sake. Well thats my latest update and all is well, and I'll be looking forward to hearing from anyone...
for the Love of Sanseverias...

Greg

o

If you think this Forum is slow....you should check out some of the Exchange Pages....
think Necropolis, with tumble weeds rolling through.... ;-)

Anyhow, I can't tell any difference in my Sans. I did water it over the weekend, though.
If infrequent moistening of the mix kills this plant, so be it! A plant *that* picky doesn't
deserve to live! Haha!

We ended up with about 4.5 inches during the recent storms. A good bit of rain!
Temps have warmed with the rain, but we're slipping down into the 30F's again....

Josh

o

Just given a bunch of plants yesterday by a friend. Along with them was a stem of Bantal Sen. I know that it will revert if only a stem but I got nothing to loose. Put in a 1/4 cactus mix and 3/4 pumice. Damp when potted but the last time till it rots over or grows.

o

Josh, welcome to my world. When I purchased my sans. Bantel it no no root system going on to talk about, so I figured ok, I can get this to live with a little T.L.C. so I placed him in a bigger pot thinking, ok some room to grow and the newly forming roots to come could run wild in the new bigger and more room to stretch out new roots.
0 But was soon surprized to hear I was doing it ALL wrong:

first step was, No water for the rootless Bantels.

2nd step was to place in a small container with drainage holes for newly forming roots to escape.

3rd step was to either root them in pumice or fresh well draining soil mixed with pumice or perilite.

4th step was be patient and remember no water and not until you see new roots but new growth forming.

Now these steps were not in that order but those were the instruction received.

So now Stush with that in mind you can choose to get in the ring, simply snap a shot of your stem of Sanseveria bantels sensation weigh in and jump in the ring and may the Best green thumb win.

Also add your sans contestants name: example, "Stushes Stem"
Ok, go to your corners gentleman and come out in spring .

Don Green promotions.
Sanseveria Bantel's Sensations going wild.

3 contestants so far and all who want to enter just sign in with instruction that were included here.

Greg

o

Oopps, Stush, welcome to my world.

o

Hey Stush,

If it's just a stem w/ no roots, it would have been better dry, damp can lead to rot (IMO). I would not water it again.

On a nicer note, I don't expect this to revert. I've not grown it before, but this is one of several green & white variegates which are said to remain true, that is to say NOT revert. The other is called Lillian's True. I've heard & read this a number of places, so I'd be hopeful.

Hope the pot you used is small & that you planted it shallow, in just a couple of inches of mix, as suggested by our friend Norma. Prop it up w/ rocks to or a stake it if needed, to keep it stable while rooting. Good luck!

o

Thanks Karen, Greg, I got it in a very small pot about 2 inches wide by 2 inches deep and because the mix was outside in 30 or so degrees, I used hot water thru the mix which is very fast draining. It is in a north facing window propped up. The stem was solid and ridge. It was chilled when I received it. So like I said, I got nothing to loose. I posted this picture in C&S forum.
Photobucket
I know my writing went right across the bottom section. But it has no rhizome at all. Greg, Yours did have a rhizome? That's how they sell them. You need at least 2 to 3 inches of rhizome to be successful.

o

Hot water? Did you water w/ that???

On another note (since you say you have nothing to lose), one COULD cut that leaf (I think yours is a leaf, not a stem, Sans. don't really have stems) in half or even thirds & have that many pieces w/ which to experiment.

I guess that's why someone at C&S (post on my water grown Sans.) recently referred to me as a bit of a Mad Scientist, but I ask you WHY NOT?? ;>)

o
Reply to Karen

Karen,
I got my message rejected twice trying to answer.
The hot water in question is from the tap (100*). Remember I stated the mix was outside (30*). So I ran the hot water thru the mix to warm it up. Let set awhile and them place the leaf (stem) into it. I guessed it was around 80* then settled down on the window to 70*. I cleaned up the bottom some before planting.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Stush, way to go! I've never ever seen a white ghost sans. And now I want one. Nice looking... Even laying on her side she looks fine.
Now I have to have one too.

Did you say Hot water, ouch !!! Where did you hear about that ?
I'll say this about water, yesterday even though I've heard and even began preaching it myself. I added water, because it looked like it needed some so I splashed it with a dose of h20 and to my surprize she looked a little dark around the core of the plant, base part.
I saw it this morning and thought, That quick!!!

My goodness when they say no water they mean NO WATER.

Now I am actually considering repotting it again and removing any existing dampness LORD HELP ME .

So what's my best option and I'm calling on the advice of my sans. Experts. It looks like signs of rot from 1 day of water, its still in a warm room though.

Please help me I know I was already told once not to but I did.

Stush, so are you in my brother? If so let's all shake hands and get in your corners and let's Do this!!!

Greg

o

Well, OK Stush, since the leaf wasn't in the mix yet, but really, next time I'd let the mix warm up naturally in a day or 2 unassisted. It does the Sans. no harm at all to wait.

I'm concerned about the damp to first start rooting.

Well Greg, all I'm going to say is that White Ghost is not a Sans. it's a Euphorbia. If you look at Stush's pix, note that it says E. White Ghost.

o

Karen, I see that thank you , I can't believe how excited a man can get over a single plant, I did notice it but it was after I submitted my response, I hate when I do that.

How about my other mistakes, like adding water and repotting at this point?

I'm starting to feel like Josh & Stush, "if it dies, it dies."
But I really don't want it too so can you please give me some tips or just rebuke me if you think I need it.

Greg

o

Hola, Greg!

Most folks will tell you to resist the temptation to disturb the plant while it's rooting.
I'm curious if mine is rooting, as well, but I think we just need to be patient.....
That said, I am watering to keep the mix lightly moist...not constantly, just once dry.

Also, speaking of getting excited over a plant....my Orchid is blooming for the first time.
Woke up this morning to the first open bud. Not only is this my first Orchid, it is also specifically
named after me by my grandfather. I know it's a shameless self-promotion, but here's the link to the
Thread with updated pics on the Houseplant Forum -

My first Orchid...in bloom!

Josh

o

Josh, Thank you for the tip, Unfortunately this morning, Again, being unpatient I reppotted it in a smaller pot with drainage holes, mine never had drainage holes from the beginning.
And to my utter surprize it looked like I was seeing tiny little roots, I know , I know risky move but I also saw what looked like signs of Rot. Yeah brown wilted leafs all mushy so I cut one of the stems all the way back past the mush and then planted the plant back into the new little pot with drainage holes.

Part of the plant seemed to be ok and thats the one I'm hoping pulls me through to the other side.

Hey I own one Orchid myself so I can imagine your excitement, those are really nice plants that almost seem artificial.
Mine is whats called, A Poor mans Orchid, a splendid looking Orchid with brilliantly bright orange clusters of blooms I mean totally gorgeous.

One last note on my Sanseveria bantel, This will be my last move until I see new growth and water is something that I will completely refrain from unless it looks like it is drying due to no water.
How would you determine if its water turning them brown or simply NO water at all?

What type of look do they have when water is needed?

This is were I need to use one of my Life lines or should I ask the audience?

Somebody please say something, I need HELP!!!

Greg

o

Josh,
How nice to have a orchid named after you. I did look that site over. Very nice indeed. Is your granddad a orchid grower/breeder?
Greg,
You worry too much. Follow your own advice. Give it some time. Also try a little cinnamon on the rot. Don't pull it back out of the pot again. Just sprinkle some around the base.

o

Stush, boy you didn't just jump in the ring, you jumped in swinging!!!
I like that.
One thing I would like to say though, and don't under estimate my green thumb.

I do appreciate the corner comfort you are giving, one question I have tho what kind of cinnamon are we talking here, just ol reg. Cinnamon powder?

Ok, this will be the last time I remove until I see new growth. And trust me, until I see New growth period.

o

Plain old cinnamon, like used in the kitchen for baking.

I've bit my lip on this earlier, but you're going to kill the plant w/ kindness & overnuture. Please just leave the plant alone.

Next time you feel you need to water it. pls. read up on the distinguishing feature of succulents which is their ability to hold water in reserve in their leaves (stems & roots too) & therefore go for long periods of time w/out water.

o

Karen, thank you again for your advice, I just now sprinkled a dab of cinnamon for flavor LOL...

No just kidding but I did add some I just sprinkled some around the base of the plant and now I will back off until I see growth. So now, no water, or anything is needed but time .

Question, How long can they go without water before we have a no water problem ? And is there something to look out for or just the New growth.

Greg

o

Greg,
I really like you. Every thing anyone tells you, you come back with 2 to 3 more questions. I know you are very smart, use your God given talent and you own ideas. That way we can come to you for advice on something in the future. Remember there is no experts here only very knowledgeable people. I once call one a expert and was corrected by them. I have the most highest respect for the people here I consider friends.
BTW Jeff doesn't like being called Master Jeff.

o

Ok, Stush, experience is the best teacher and I have heard here somewhere that what works for one might not work for another so with that said, I will lighten up from here on and let everything I've read lead me through the next rounds of this match.

I will say this about you and that is you don't hold back any punches, and I Like that about you. Straight shooter Stush.
No further question, Until I think It's vital .

I will say this they say you can't learn unless you ask questions, a lot of them. But experience exceeds them all, have a great day Stush.

Greg

o

Thanks, Greg and Stush! I'm very pleased with the Orchid.
My Grandpa is an Orchid breeder/grower, although he's better known in the Hoya world, I think.
No less, he currently holds the longest membership in the American Orchid Society (member since 1943!).

But I digress. Nothin' new to report on the Sansevieria.

Josh

o

Josh, I always speak (type) first and think later. I have reread you past post and it explains your Grandpa's growing experience. Wow, what nice family ties you have.
BTW Greg, I did like all the life you put in the Sans forum. Keep it up. It is soo slow at this time.

o

Josh & Stush, your a couple of fine young men and I really do appreciate the friendship that has developed here even if we never get a chance to meet in person it feels like were still connected.
Who knows maybe one day at a cacti & succulent event or sans fair.

Josh , nothing here new to report other than I've added cinnamon which I just sprinkled some around the base,
I really didn't know how much to add. And I 'm having way to much fun with this contest we have going,
Hey, watch out for Stush he has a nice right and left combo punch and he is good and quick with it. Lol ... J.k.
I did look at your orchid site and it is loaded with people good job! Nice looking orchids and to be named after one Omg... Wonderful.
I wouldn't want to be named after mine, remember It's called poor-man's orchid although it is nice looking. I sure you've seen one right?

Stush, don't let your hands down cause I got you on my radar . LOL ...
Thanks for adding to the sans site also.

Well on that note " Let's get ready to rumble!!!"

Greg

o

Hello everyone, this has been a long quiet road filled with absolutely no company at all. Reminds,me of some old song called, " All alone at night.". Boy there us nothing to talk about either, which also reminds new of that old Japanese bamboo plant that takes at least 5 years for anything to take place, but then Bam!!!! One day it grows like 500 ft.

If anybody's out there hello......

Greg

o

Hello, Greg, I've been down for the count with the Flu and an ear infection for over two weeks.
I'm just now starting to see the light again. Zero signs of anything with my Sansevieria.

Regarding bamboo. The first year they sleep, the second year they creep, the third year they leap!
My black bamboo went from five foot culms, to ten foot culms, to 16 foot culms last year. This year,
I hope they hit at least 25 feet. Then I'll start harvesting to make garden stakes and flutes.

Josh

o

Josh, good to hear your feeling better, wow that's cool flutes huh, that must be another family trait that was passed down to you no?
You know I also have bamboo growing around my back yard, I use it for stakes to hold up plants but I see a lot of other uses one could get out of the shoots. I always think yeah I could do this or that but now Flutes too!! Sounds like a specialty.

Well take care of yourself josh .

Greg

o

Thanks, Greg.
Yep, my dad used to make and sell flutes when he was living in Arcata, CA.
He also made a harp out of a pig's jaw once. All the teeth were still in the jaw,
and so the teeth would rattle as you played. He sold it to a music student, though.

Josh

o

Josh, Wow that's awesome, talk about talent and skills that's incredible man, how big was that jaw, I picture a harp a tall instrument I quess they do come in smaller sizes. Does he play a harp also, I would guess so.

About that bambo, that was good, I like that 1st yr. 2nd and 3rd year leap.

Hey I almost made it to the San Diego cactus show, but had to work instead, looking forward to seeing some pics from that show that some of the others promised to take.

Well right now I'm actually at the beach over here at New Port beach, in Orange county, Ca. We had a couple of nice days this week, the Temperature was in the 80's. I actually brought my Sans. Out for a little sun bath this week, and I almost left her out overnight because I forgot about her I had to go fetch her at night cuz the temp. Drops at night.
Well josh enjoy your weekend and I'll keep you posted .

Greg

o

Howdy, Greg!

Sorry to leave you hangin' here. The pig jaw was nine or ten inches long,
and the pegs were set fairly close together. Not a traditional harp for sure!

How is the weather down there?! We hit 70F today and it felt nice and warm!
I even dragged a few plants out onto the back deck for some sun.

Anyhow, maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but I could swear that my "Bantel's"
is a little greener on some of the leaf-edges near the base of the plant.
I'm so tempted to check for roots...I won't, of course.

Josh

o

Hey josh, no problem, I've noticed that this Sans. Site is a slow moving site, wow that harp must have been quite a sight for sure.

The weather this week is gorgeous, we went from the mid 60's last week, to the 80's this week and I too brought some of my plants out doors for a few hours including the famous bantel.

As far as an update on my Bantel I have her propped up with chop sticks to avoid a tumble. She's not looking what I would like her to look and that is robust. As a matter of fact she's looking a lil shriveled up like she's crying out for water, but I've learned to simply ignore her, I've actually just been walking by shining her on.
I know it sounds insensitive but what the.

Glad you decided to put some time in here this morning cuz I was about to change the sites name to Sanseveria Ghost town LOL.

Greg

o

Haha...yeah, this Forum is sloooowwwww.....

I've been watering my Bantel's about every 2 weeks or so. I wonder if I should admit that? ;-)
A little partial sun/shade might do the plant some good. I think I'll give it a try.

Josh

o

Josh, Greg,
I do look in and see. I just got some really nice plants. No pictures yet. Just potted them up today.
My sans are hurting. Lost 1/2 of Trifasciata Forescate, Lost all of Guineensis Variedata. When I watered them, I had some cinnamon mixed in the water. Couldn't help to water some. They were very dry. Water was on the warm side. maybe 80 degrees.
Stush

o

I check occasionally and I also still owe this forum/thread a photo of my Bantel's. I still need to separate one of the pups form the mother plant (unrooted) to be used in this growing contest. Just think of it as me giving you guys a "head start". ha ha

o

Stush, woodnative and Josh, Emmm... cinnamon in a little water.... Ok... yeah I was wondering how the cinnamon would get into the ground cause I sprinkled a little above the ground, base of the plant but thought whats it doing but just sitting on the surface but a little cinnamon mixed into a little water is the trix, Yeah and my bantel is looking parched from none which was the instructions I 1st received but I think now that the weather has perked up alittle some it wont hurt. I hope.

Woodnative alright the cats out of the bag so where's the pics? come on.....

What happened to the O'l saying, " Just add water." Lol...

Greg

o

Hey guys, nice pictures of yourselves. Karen you look good. We need a picture of Woodnative. See post in C&S called.... face someting??? Norma, are you in??

o

Greg, Josh,
Ok now is the time you guys take the lead in this. Nicer weather, more sun, get to water more often. I have only 6 months of growing weather here. 4-1/2 actually when it comes to sans. Setting your plants out in the sun on those nice warm days are going to give you a head start over me. Wait till you see some nice young pups coming up thru the soil. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Update; On my Bantel Sensation, you know I had 4 stocks planted in the planter posted above here. Well, one have completely rotted away. I saved the leaves, looks ok, but the rhizome was completely gone. The other 3 looks good. Even the one pup that was sprouting, grew another 4 inches. It is just happening now. Must be the brighter sunlight coming in the window now. So, game is still on my brothers.
Stush
PS, Some one here gave me some really nice sans. Leaving name out of it.

o

Be careful when you first put them out in sun that you don't burn them too badly. You will need to introduce them gradually to more sun. I always put mine out in a protected, shady spot first and slowly allow them some morning sun, then some stronger sun over a period of several days to a couple weeks. Stush you can try to root the leaves on that rotted Bantel's.....I think it will grow all green but with thicker leaves like Bantel's.....the cultivar name is escaping my brain at the moment.

o

WN,
I don't expect much. One of the leaves is almost all light yellow. Just a hint of a green edge. Those types don't do well for me. Luckily the other rhizome is doing fine. Lots of bright sunlight coming in the window now and is making a difference.
Stush

o

Hey guys, Boy a little water mixed with that cinnamon is exactly what the Doctor ordered Thanks!

Yeah this morning I was walking by and she sure has perked up looking nice and bright with the greens and white shades, Shoot I starting to feel really good about this contest again, I was starting to feel a little down cast about the way she was looking the past weeks, Poor thing though I'm lucky I'm still in the race as many times as I messed with it Reppoting and repooting because of no drainage and then pot was to LARGE then I was giving it to much water, OH BROTHER!!! Somebody help Me!!! Whew... Finally someone actually a few of you said, Just leave it alone... And stop all this fussing! Well I seemed to have found some balance here thank God and she's looking great again.

So Stush hows about throwing some pictures up of your Sans. bantels that your competing with I'd love to see them.

Josh whats going on with your Sensatioal bantel this week, any progress with your cinnamon sprinkles?
Hey thinking back to the face returns thread, Thats some nice country you live in Looks like wide open land with tons of fresh air unlike Calif. smog.

woodnative are you in Or out ? Lets hear your update when you get a chance if you are.

Anybody know if these Sans bantel are any more hardier once they become established, Or are they this finicky all the time... I hope not.

I picked upanother type of Sanseveria not sure the name though it's the one that has a light shade of green almost grey looking it's a nice one too, but if anyone knows the name of that spieces let me know.

It's a faded green color with a grayish blend, Hope someone can get a picture of my explanation.

Greg

o

Hy guys, if I went in now it would be cheating. I have two forms of this plant. One is doing very well the other not. I grow my plants so differently then all of you do, and also had many years of experience which doesn't count when it come to Sansevieria. Variegted plants cannot not be started and come true without at leaves 3" or more rizome. My little trick is to place them into the smallest pot they would fit into whith out any more then 2" of mix at the bottom, cuts do better if they are at least 6" making sure which end is the bottom, no joking. Norma

o

Hi Josh,

I think that your Sansevieria is a Donneri variegated. I was looking at some web shots yesterday and came across this picture.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2681643260093192570GVaISc

o
RE: follow up

Hi Josh,

Just realized the link isn't active. You can go to home and garden webshots page and search for Doonerii. Be sure to write it in this way.

o

Howdy!

Just drenched my Sans. and took it to the back deck to enjoy some filtered sun...
and that reminded me that I should check in on this little contest :-)

Stush, that was a lot of fun sharing pics! It's nice seeing the "competition" face to face, hehehe...
I hope you've gotten the lung issue addressed, man. Pneumonia is no joke.

Greg, I *think* my Sans. is growing/awake, but I can't tell. I'm going to keep watering
it as though it has roots. Who knows, maybe I'll rot the roots...and then you guys will have
a fighting chance, hahahaha!!! ;-)

Oh, and living up here in northern California is wonderful. Lots of rural woody areas,
snow-capped Sierra Nevadas just in the distance, extensive rivers and streams, deep canyons,
lakes, conifer forests, occasional snow, hunting, and citrus orchards 25 minutes down the road.

Lovemysans...I'm always open to suggestions, since I know so little about Sans. types.
However, when I did an image search, the only pic that looked similar to mine was the
one that you posted (address). All the other images were of very dissimilar plants.
I guess that new growth will be the real determination.

Josh

o

We got a newbe here. Welcome 'Lovemysans'. With a name like that, who can dislike him her. Which is it. and introduce yourself. also go to C&S forum and see pictures of us. Maybe you might want to add yours?
This forum is slow but it's the only one around. And we got some of the best people around here.
Stush

o

Lovemysans, welcome to the thread, have you any tips for us , and let us see some pics of your sans collection.

Josh , so what do you have in them dare pots?

Stush glad your feeling better how's about your bantels though ?

Greg

o

Lovemysans, welcome to the thread, have you any tips for us , and let us see some pics of your sans collection.

Josh , so what do you have in them dare pots?

Stush glad your feeling better how's about your bantels though ?

Greg

o

Hi guys, Sorry I couldn't get back to you yesterday. I had/have pain in my ears and dizziness. I have been sipping on ascorbic acid powder mixed in water and it's helped. Highly recommend it.

Hi Josh, The leaves though seem to floppy to be a Bantel's. Bantel's leaves are stiffer more erect. But, yeah, let's wait and see what it does.

Hi Stush, Awe, Thank you. With a welcome like that is hard not to like you too. I got into Sansevierias this past year. I am really happy to have found other wonderful people that share my love for them. I also have a passion for nutrition, particularly traditional diets/ lifestyles, animals, and our environment. I checked out the pictures, they are great!

Hi hijole (A.K.A. Greg), Thank you for your welcome. Gosh tips, well, I solved my watering problem by placing my sans in pure pumice. I now give them a daily drink without any issues.

o

Greg,
Took some pictures today. First is the original right after I purchased it. I know, wrong soil, too large of a pot, and more. I plan to do a downsize and soil change this spring. I don't want to disturb it now. I lost 1/4 of them during winter with almost no watering. Now they are responding and started to grow.
Photobucket
Below is what it looks like now. Noticed how large the new pup grew.
Photobucket
Also current picture of my Sansevieria Trifasciata Forescate. There was two sections in that pot. Now only one but is growing.
Photobucket

o

Hey Stush it might be the wrong size pot but heck it looks good though so who says it's the wrong pot, can it get better looking than that?

I like the color on the plant in front, that is very nice coloring on it.

Greg

o

Greg,
I heard Norma said there are two different types of Bantal's Sensation. Yours looks different than mine. The colors are sharper and not blended like in mine. Maybe next year we can exchange pups? It would take a year befor we see something worth dividing, maybe even two years. I could buy another but I might end up with what I already have.

o

Stush, I like that idea and I think Josh would too and maybe some of the others but for sure I would. Two years!!! well now lets see if I can remember that.

I was wondering if they're all as fussy as the bantel sensation that I have because that little guy is very sensitive, Maybe time to change his name to, Sans Bantel Sensitive Lol... why not I hear alot of different people have different names for the same plant so lets start a new name based on a discovery of ours. "Super Sensitive Sanseveria." just a little hummor. :)

Greg

o

Hi Greg,

No, Sans. are not all as fussy as Bantel's Sensation. Some are more sensitive than others; some more so to cold, some to more wet. Personally, I was unable to grow the short, squat kinds, I killed 2 or 3 at least before I quit trying those.

But in general, the opposite is true, look where one sees Sans. growing commonly, all kinds of restaurants, dry cleaners, movie theatres, often w/ careless, darker conditions & outright neglect & they do fine, look around.

o

Thanks pirate girl this thread is so slow I hadn't checked lately, It's good to know that it isn't just me but they are a tough plant to grow.

Josh you must be on vacation which is cool I haven't heard from u lately, I also sent u an email couple of days ago, no worries.

Greg

o

So Greg and Josh, I got Woodnative' permission to show his Bantal Sensation.
Photobucket
He said he was going to cut off a piece to be even with you. Well, I hoped I talked him into not doing this. It is too nice to cut up.
Stush

o

Stush, where's the white streaks that are common on the bantels?
Also I thought they were straight and up right, Stush check this guy out for me, make sure he's got the real thing LOL...

Greg

o

Greg,
It's the real thing. A better photo might show what you're looking for.
Stush

o

Stush It's a nice photo for sure it looks nice it just looks a little slanted like a gangster lean.LOL ...

Have a nice day I'm at work today till 6pm

Greg

o

Stush It's a nice photo for sure it looks nice it just looks a little slanted like a gangster lean.LOL ...

Have a nice day I'm at work today till 6pm

Greg

o

Stush-
Thanks for posting the photo!..........I got around to taking the photo but didn't get around to loading it into photobucket etc. I appreciate it. Yep....the real deal.....I think the photo makes it look wider leaved and yellower.....I will try to get a better photo. I have had that plant a few years............grew pups, lost some pups. I also had to cut off a couple all-green reversions in the first year or wo.

o

Hi Woodnative!

I was telling Greg in another post that adding at least 30% pumice to these guys is recommended. I'd add some pumice to the mix Woodnative. The pups were probably lost because of the mix. Take care!

o

or perlite if folks can't find pumice (it's harder to find on the East coast).

o

Thanks P/G, I was looking for pumice at H/D and did not find any, so I will use the perlite instead, what is recommended full perlite or mixed with cacti soil & perlite? Thank you, to all who have helped in this growing endeavor.

Has anyone heard from Josh, "greenman" ??

Greg

o

I use a fair amount of perlite and some course river sand in my mix. The problem with the variegates for me isn't them rotting at the base (from overwatering) in winter......the temps and/or poor growing conditions just seems to cause the whole plants to fail to thrive and collapse. If kept a bit warmer (and watered regularly) they do fine.

o

Hi pirate girl!

What about Leca stones as a substitute for pumice? I believe they're easy to find. I know Home Depot carries them. Perlite to me feels like styrofoam, doesn't it?

Hi Greg!

Hi Woodnative!

o

Woodnative, I like that advice, it could simply be the wrong soil conditions causing the whole problem and making the bantel Sensation to appear to be fussy giving it a bad Rap for being a poor grower.

Sounds like a major breakthrough in this thread for the Sanseveria Bantel Sensation.
Ok looks like I'll be found collecting course river sand not to mention leca stones? I've never even heard of those, but I'll check at h/d , soon.

Thanks to all :
Pirate girl,
Stush,
Josh,
Norma,
Woodnative,

As we draw closer to spring should we start to see anything happening with these plants that haven't been going on durring the winter months?

And once warmer climates hit some of us can we bring them outside for both day and night with no ill effects?

Greg

o

Hey, everyone!

Greg, I've been busy with work! No vacation yet ;-)
And this weekend I spent with family and friends, which kept me away even longer.

Nothing new to report with my now-questioned 'Bantel's Sensation.' Seems the same as ever.
I'm hoping that some warmer weather will kick my plant into growth and prove us victorious! ;-)

Whether using Pumice, Perlite, or coarse Sand, remember that the key is particle size.
The optimum size is right around 1/8 of an inch. Screen your material over window screen
to remove the fine particulate and dust, which would otherwise clog your mix and impede
drainage. Also, beware breathing in that dust - use a mask, work on a windy day, or rinse
the material.

Josh

o

Josh, good to see you back, I haven't seen anything to even get me excited but I keep receiving new info giving me a glimmer of hope in the midst of silence, "talking about the plant.". Boy talk about a waiting game, and with no way of keeping score either.

At least it doesn't look like we can, O well spring is close and I'm hoping it brings exciting news for us all.
Well good night to all.

Greg

o

Growing here in temperate NJ,I put my Sansevieria outside during the late Spring through early fall. trifasciata cultivars like 'Bantel's Sensation', and even other cultivars and some species, will seemingly just sit there for much of the summer. They don't appear to be doing anything at first, but really they are growing new roots and sending out new underground stolons. Underneath the surface of the soil, a lot will be happening. Towards the end of summer the new pups will start to break through. Unfortunately I will have to bring them back inside (and to less than ideal conditions) before the pups finish. Often these pups will continue to expand through much of the early part of winter. By that time they will have grown a bit. Also, although S. is known for tolerating "old" and poorer soils, it does certainy seem to respond very positively to fresh soil and occasional fertilizer WHEN in active growth.

o

Hi Josh!

Good to hear from you! Thanks for the tip!

o

Hello and good morning to everybody, Well my plant with the last two stocks that survived that had no root system seem to be doing well and just the way the plant has sturdied up when I move it around to give her the best sunny locations inside my home appears to have begun rooting just by that observation alone, nothing visible yet.

I expext that within the next few weeks to a month we should all see some action in the ring,

So lets get ready to rumble.

Greg

o

That is a good sign Greg. The weather is slowly improving so the Sans will be happy again soon. Note that your plant may sit there a while and seemingly do nothing though under the soil surface there may be a lot going on.

o

Woodnative, would you happen to know when these plants, the sans bantel sensation can be brought outside for the night?

I know the one I have was sitting outside in the nursery when I purchased her and now I've been hearing about keeping them warm , now I'm wondering when I can take my plant back out side for the entire time at least for the summer.

I asked this question before but don't remember an answer and that is, once the root system is developed can they be left outside durring southern California winters which get no colder than maybe 37 f. A few nights in winter?

And just a side note here to all, I found a man out here in my home town selling little Italian Terra cotta pots that are 4" round and 3" tall with drainage holes perfect for growing cacti, succulents and.sanseverias.

He's selling them for 20 for $5.00 what a deal !

He has others a bigger size he has about 4 or 5 pallets and asked me to buy them all, talk about buying pots you don't need yet, but I thought I could buy all these and sell them with all kinds of cacti and succulents and make a little profit, hummm....

Greg

o

I don't know for sure Greg, but I think that's too cold for Sans. especially one suggested to be a bit fussier. I COULD be wrong, but am guessing these shouldn't take temps much below 50s.

Hi Norma,

If you're around, could you pls. address minimum temps for these plants?

o

Hello, Karen, Woodnative, Greg, Stush, and all!

I think Karen is correct. 50°F is a good minimum night-temp for sensitive plants.
We won't have temps that warm until June.

My Sans. seems to be doing alright. No new signs of life, but I'm keeping it watered
and fertilized, and so we'll see what turns up.

Josh

o
Post number 100 And we have a winner!!!

Well here we are another month and finally, I just noticed a root popping out of the bottom of my pot and... A new shoot to boot!!!

Well I always felt like I would prevail in this endeavor but you never know for sure.

I want to thank everyone for playing and I just want to let you all know that I'm open to any other contest with growing plants and propagating them to maturity.

Again, thanks to everyone,

Greg

o
april. fools... just kidding

APRIL FOOLS I WAS JUST KIDDING EVERYBODY HAHAHA...

GREG

Have a good week and I hope you can find some humor in that, anyone else get fooled today?

o
Hey it Was 9:30 PM Here in California:

It was only 9:45pm over here in my part of town in California, hehehe...

Greg

o

Hi Greg!

Alright you fooled me... I fell for it!

o

Good one Greg. I fell for it also. Although I was hoping it was true, but I would want a picture proof.

o
RE: Glad you saw some humor in it.

lovemysans, and Stush, Glad you guys both some some humor in this post.

o

Haha, yep, you got me!
I was about to write my congratulations....then I read further ;-)

Josh

o
Ok, All Joking Aside.

O M G... Ok, all kidding aside, today after reading Josh's comment on April fools my plant is growing, I walked by my plant and low and behold I noticed a brand new shoot shooting up right between the two stocks.

Ok, I'm serious now, its about the size of a tooth pick right now, I had to actually put on my ready glasses to make sure I wasn't just imagining this, I looked again and there she was.

Ok so I know I'll need to produce photos and after the April Fools joke I don't blame you stush, so I will throw one up ASAP by Friday, hopefully Thursday.
Right now it looks all white no margins of any shade almost albino looking, well we shall see what she looks like this is my first time growing these bantels but I can say this about it, it has hone through multiple transplantings from pots with no drains to pots with and then changing of soil a couple of times, whew.....

So right after I post this I will be taking a picture and then I have alot of running around to do I just ran to post office and sent a.few garden web friends some Agave americano " white & green" to a few of my friends who requested some, and I'm still running around.

Greg

Ok, upon looking again I do see green margins on it.

o

Greg, I hate you. Just kidding.
Well I guess congratulations are in order. I have some leaves on mine that are growing but no new ones to speak of yet. I just knew you would take the lead once that California sun and temperatures kicked in. Way to go.
Woodnative and I are still boxed in with cold weather coming back again.
Stush
PS I still want picture proof!

o

Hey stush, thank you, boy I was surprised to see that Lil sprout poking his head out of between those two stocks. Looking at my other sans plants it looks like the new growth appears from the sides of the plant, o well I'm not totally sure yet it could be from the side of one of them appearing like It's coming from the center of the two stocks.

Pictures indeed are in order Stush and are in the works as I send this message, by the way I had your Agave americano sent your way yesterday so keep and eye out.

As far as the California weather, I believe your right. And that would be equivalent to having a contest with a winter growing plant , I'd almost have to place mine in the fridge to stay in the game. Lol...

Good to be playing with a bunch of great people.

So at this time is Luke to first off thank everyone here who joined me in this fun time.

Josh: greenman thank you for taking the step to incourage me to go forward with this contest by agreeing to participate and all the updates and fun messages.

Stush, you too have remain a friend in this endearing and you seemed to enjoy it as much ad myself if not more ;) plus all the advice inspite of all my questions ( none stop almost.).

Pirate girl : Thank you also for your part you played, your like a tough coach who never gives up but keeps pushing her team to go the distance.

Woodnative, Thank you for jumping into the ring with us all bring more excitement to the challenges that I for one was facing at time and giving us your experience with these bantels,

Norma, you too have been an inspiration to us all here in this web site thank you for your years of experience that you loaned us .

Marlon, thank you muncho. ( a lot ) for participating in this race to the new growth. You have some very nice looking plants to envy.

Well everyone I for one acknowledge that without all your help and support on this would not of been possible especially the way I was going about it at first, thanks for the guidance .

Lol... Reading this you'd think I won some type of award for The academies . But I enjoyed myself and the friendship with you all again thank you.

Greg

o

Hysterical Greg. The Academy would be pleased and you didn't even get the musical play off the stage.

o

Happy dance time. Happy, Happy, Happy!!!

o

Greetings! :-)

Well, I'm not sure what exactly is growing up from between the stocks of my Sans.,
but it looks as though it might be some new growth! I noticed it two days ago when I was
watering, but I didn't dare get my hopes up! Now that Greg has new growth, I'd better
document whatever this is, as well. Hopefully the stage can support two winners :-)

So, for future reference, it seems that we can mark our calendars around the first week
of April for activity on our 'Bantel's Sensation,' at least in California.

Josh

o
From the Green Corner....!

Well, what I *thought* was a single growth the other day, is now several growths!
Boy was I delighted when I went to snap a picture. It was tough to nose the camera inside the stalks,
but I think these pics will give the idea and assure my fighter a place on the victory Stage! :-D

Greg, I bet your growth is better than this, though!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh,
We got another winner. I can see a dead leaf inside and boy I bet that worried you. Good to see it pulled out of that sump.
Now to settle this fight and to keep me and woodnative in we have to wait till we see a new pup sprouting up thru the soil.
So let the fight continue. Who else is in the contest?
Stush

o

Hmm. I actually started a Bantel around the same time. Mine had a few (nearly dead) roots but I'm still waiting for new growth.

Gloves on!

Michael

o

Hey, Stush and Michael, gloves up, Gentlemen! ;-)

Stush, that dead leaf has been there since I received the plant, so I haven't worried one bit.
I've just been watering and lightly fertilizing, and keeping the faith in Victory alive! :-D

Josh

o

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
OK, Not sure whats going on with my posting skills but I accidently started a new thread entitled ,"Reporting Ring Side so if there are no pics here refer to the new site.

Ok, it worked here too so Sorry about the dublication I just got so excited and after all that Dancing maybe a little dizzy LOL...

Stush, Your On with the wide Leaves contest, Just not sure about the spieces your refering too but I'm in, How about you Josh and the rest of us?

Spring is in the air so we could possibly gain a Knock out Punch in this ring giving one of us our first TKO.

Stush look out for Norma and Karen they say it's the punch you dont see coming that gets you, Hahaha...

Greg

Thanks guys & gals,

Greg

o

Hi Josh!

Great pics! Keep us posted!

Take care!

o

Update!
My Sans. has been outside for several weeks now, although the nights still dip to the lower 40°F's.
Day-time temps have been in the 80°F's, with a few days over 90°F. Anyhow, I was watering and
fertilizing the other day, and I noticed some new growth.... ;-)

This is the slow growth of the central leaves....

Photobucket

And this is an offset!

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh, The new shoot is very impressive, I am going to take a closer look at mine later on today when I get back home. Yeah it's been climbing to @ 89 - 90 f. over here and only around 50 degrees early in the mornings which is not bad, "I love this time of the year."

The last time I looked at my sans. it looked the same I even picked it up to see if any roots had popped out of the drainage holes, Nope. so I'll up date mine soon.

Greg

o

You guys know I lost one of my B.S. in my large pot. Three out of four growing. So I purchased another one from Bob Smoley's Gardenworld. Only $6. Was suprise to see a large stock with a pup sprouting from the side.
Photobucket
Also Bob has rooting hormone power on ends for better/faster rooting on the cuts.
Greg, hows your black sans growing? You should get wide leaves on this one.

o

Stush, All is well with the black Sans. as a matter of fact I wanted to ask you a question concerning that spieces, I noticed you sent it in perilite so do I let him sit there or what do you recommend as far as soil?

Stush, also the other sans you sent with the thin yellow margins is looking good and it's still sitting in the perilite.

Josh, No progress on the Bantel other than he's looking strong and healthy, I expect somethings about to start popping soon! And I 'll let you know as soon as it does.

Greg

o

Hi Josh! Congratulations!!!

Hi Stush! Great purchase, love them!!!

o

Josh-
Looks GREAT!! You guys have the weather out there!! It is finally warming enough here in NJ to start putting the Sans outside. I always have to be careful not to burn them.
Stush- Great plants there from Smoley's!! Those Stapelias should be interesting aslo and that Bantel's looks great!

o

Greg,
That black sans can be planted in solid clay soil in a water fall. No but close. These are the best kinds to grow. They are much less demanding of all the sans. Just plant it up like any other sans you own.
Chris,
Just when I start to bring all my sans out side, we get a frost advisory. covered them with blankets and some of what you gave me looks bad. No rot yet but droopy leaves. Got my fingers crossed on Gray Lady and Siam Silver. All my green yellow ones are completely unaffected.

o

Howdy!

Well, is it still early to tell whether this is 'Bantel's Sensation' or not?

o
Another view...

And one more pic for good measure ;-)

o

It's looking good Josh!!! Does the baby have some trifasciata markings? It looks like it does in the first picture... Why don't you take that dry leaf visible on the second pic out?:-)

o

Josh, I'd love a offset of this guy...:-)

o

I left the dry leaf as protection/support.
It'll probably be years before this thing is ready to be separated. Super slow growth.

Josh

o

ohhh...Good idea Josh! OK, I am at the top of the list for one of these when re potting time comes around! LOL!!!

o

Josh, I'm on your side buddy but I dont see enough white to make a good call, either mine is a half breed or yours is, so lets just see what develops tomorow.

As for mine, It still remains the same with no additional signs of growth on it. Once in a while I'll pick it up to see if I notice any roots or any kind of change but absolutely nothing, one thing I will mention is that I've moved it to the outside in the patio where it gets no direct sun light, only bright light but in the shade, is that what is recommended for these guys?

Greg

o

Josh,
Looks like mine. So I would say it's Bantel's Sensation. I have had two pups up and one is over a foot tall now. And I repotted it in a better mix and smaller size pot. also I would not cut this up. Leave it alone and I think it looks better growing with all one big roots and many stocks.

o

Greg, I've read is that they need lots of bright indirect light...

o

Hey Folks,

Nice young Sans. you've got going there. Happy sprouts to those of you in the competition.

However, just so you know, juvenile forms of Sans. are difficult to ID as they often look completely different that their adult plants. I would be remiss in my doings as a pupil of Norma's in Sans. if I didn't pass that tidbit on.

I once had a cylindrical leaf, fan shaped Sans. (Patens, I think) which put out a leaf whose blade was flat as a sheet of paper. Had it not been my own plant, I never would have believed they were part of the same plant. I did later turn it out just to make sure, as I wasn't quick to believe it myself.

Just so you know, right Norma??? ;>)

Happy Summer to you all!

o

Happy summer to you too Karen!!! Thank you!!!

o

Hey, thanks all for the help!
I don't know enough about these plants to Id them, but I'll keep growing this one until
it is mature enough to identify. I have it in partial sun below my deck rail, tucked beneath
an avocado in a container.

Josh

o

Update, if I can call it that, no visible changes to report about today but wanted to show you and updated photo.

I took this today after searching for some breaking news to report and found nada.
So as they say, As soon as it happens you'll hear it first on garden web forum.

Josh, please don't think I've forgotten the Agave, delays, delays, delays.
On a good note It's sitting in good soil.

Greg

o

Ok, just one more to give a new angle of my sans bantel, and to say nothing has changed, I saw where Stush mentioned that his off shoots have grown a ft. Not mine, actually no movement visible at all.

Greg

o

Still looks good to me, Greg ;-)

Are you fertilizing? I've been fertilizing every two weeks or so, and I've increased
the watering during these 100°F days. I also added a shallow drip-tray beneath mine so
that it sits in a bit of water for about an hour or two after watering.

Josh

o

Josh, You know thats one thing I havent done in about three months or more but I will add a little M/G today, Wow every two weeks thats pretty often so for sure I'll add some to give him a nice push.
One thing I have been doing lately is giving it to much water and this is by accident but she does still looks ok so I guess maybe it's not to much after all.

Greg

o

Yeah, hit it with some nutrients!
I always go light...say 1/4 strength dose....but I apply it more frequently. And with the
amount of watering I do, I know that the mix is flushed by the time I fertilize again.

Josh

o

I don't know Josh, still seems like a lot of fertilizer, but then yours is outside (don't know if that matters). I'm w/ the folks who don't fertilize succulents more than a couple of times per season.

o

To each their own.....
but I think that the vitality of my plants speaks for itself :-)
Plants won't grow without an adequate stream of nutrients, and growth is what Greg wants.

Josh

o

Thats right, Thats what I'm looking for, the fast and the furious and if the nutrients will do it then so be it.
thanks Josh,

Greg

o

Okey Doke fellas, continued good luck. I'll watch w/ interest from the sidelines.

o

Picture update;
Photobucket
There are two pups shown. One a foot tall the other just poping out of the soil. I do not consider myself a winner because they were already on the stock when I purchased them. No new pups but do have growth going on. Also my large old Sans finially repotted.
Photobucket
also on a new post I would like to show some of the plants that some very generous person sent me.

o

Stush, your plants are looking full of vitality! Great job!
Also, are those Japanese painted ferns that I spy in the background undergrowth?

Greg, a low steady stream of nutrients can't hurt...it can only help ;-)

Josh

o

Josh,
I do have some Japanese Painted Ferns but what is shown is varagated Packasandra. Started with a few plants that take off from stem cuttings in the early spring. Now I have hundreds used as a border. Behind them Hosta Gold Standard and various common ones. Under a seedling Japanese maple tree. There is some mix-mash of wild ferns from our woods. Also a few jack'n the pulpit just for fun.
Wait, in the first picture is a Japanese painted fern. You are right my friend.

o
RE: Well So Long to This Thread Thanks to All Who Contributed to

Well to everyone who contributed to this Thread I'd like to say, It's been a very fun and informative site where I've learned so much about this spieces cultivar and it has helped out tremendously, And I feel like I almost know some of you personally from a distance too.

Lets move this over to a new link and call it something related to the contest and the results we find with are current Bantels progress, And hey!!! everyone was a winner here so hats off to all.

Greg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here