Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veridicaldream

sans leaf mushy?

veridicaldream
11 years ago

Hi, am a beginner and just got my first sans.
I just looked yesterday and noticed that the leaf is kinda mushy near the roots and there is old brown and wrinkled bits of leaf at the base of the plant.

When I lifted the pot a bit of water dripped. I could not trace the source but I think its from the mushy translucent bit

http://tinypic.com/r/7o5i/6

Please note: I have not watered it as its been raining steadily for the entire week.

Also, just noticed many tiny lil spiders have built their webs all over the leafs overnight!

This post was edited by veridicaldream on Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 6:43

Comments (7)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi,

I can't see your pic,just a link w/ some Chinese writing.

Pls. know that anything mushy is rotting & needs to be cut off immediately (mushy = rot & can spread quickly). Apply a bit of ordinary cinnamon where you've made the cut & then sterilize the knife if you need to cut again.

I grow indoors only, have no experience w/ insects, sorry.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

your pic.

Has your plant been outside in the rain for a week?

I don't think spider mites get on Sans, probably just a regular sac of spider eggs that hatched.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Sans like to be on the dry side. I did see a picture of wild growing Sans. tri~ hahnii growing in a stream. It was in a hot area in Australia. I asked the person for a update and didn't get one. Not normal and may have been staged. You can increase the drainage of your soil where you planted yours sans.

• veridicaldream
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah I see.
    I live on the 12th floor of an apartment and placed the pot outside along the corridor. the rainwater has been dripping off from the floor upstairs onto the corridor.
    The spiders look like normal spiders.
    PLease note: have uploaded photo

• veridicaldream
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I repotted my plant.
    However, what I assumed to be coco coir seems to be the sans roots itself?

Does anyone know if the roots of a young plant are that easily breakable?
    Also, the plant had a wet sourish smell.

How can I tell if it has root rot?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Sans roots tend to be orange, at least for the kind I have. Breaking them is not a problem. More will grow, and I usually remove at least half of them on purpose anyway when repotting. If there are any that are mushy, get rid of them - those are rotting. Root rot = mushy roots. If there is some kind of sour odor, that's not good - somethings's decomposing. Hopefully it was something in the old soil, not your plant.

Let it get VERY dry before watering again, the fresh soil should help. Did you wash off the old soil before repotting? If not, you may want to do that, then let it dry for a day or two before putting it back in its' pot. Let the soil get dry every time before you water when it's cooler. Only when it's in tons of sun and heat will it need much water, but at no time will it tolerate sitting in soggy, stagnant soil.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi, I agree w/ most of what's written above except

"Only when it's in tons of sun and heat will it need much water,"

This is simply not true & I believe could be quite misleading. I've killed more than a couple of Sans. by UNDERWATERING, so I would not take that particular advice. You'll have to watch the plant & learn to water more when it's actively growing vs. less water when it's not.