Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blutarski_gw

another watering question

blutarski
16 years ago

I'm on board with not watering my sans very much (if at all) during the winter.

Some leaves are starting to bend in half, which I understand will happen and isn't necessarily something to worry about.

If one of my plants had leaves browning from the tip down, or if leaves started falling over, I would give water. Are there any other signs I should look for?

I'm pretty much a novice, so please pardon me if this is seems like a silly question.

Comments (4)

• User
    16 years ago

I'm sorry if it seems like it's always me answering you, but since no one else has yet, here I am again. Then again, this particular forum is very slow & rarely active.

I'm not clear on where you got the idea not to water yr. Sans. AT ALL during winter (also I've forgotten where you live, regionally speaking).

I'm in NYC growing indoors only, at this time of yr., I water mine abt every 2 or 3 wks, especially if they have new growth breaking the surface of the mix. Almost all my Sans are in some active growth right now, albeit slower than summer, so I keep watering.

But then too, I'm experienced in these, have the more sensitive ones in terra cotta pots. The single one I have which has no new growth gets some water once a month, it's in plastic, but is a pretty mature plant & since I grew it from 2 leaves to 15 (over a few yrs.), I know it pretty well.

All of these are in my own mix & I have seen the roots of all, so I know how well developed they are. Of 3 or 4 new ones which I took from large cuttings from a friend this Fall, are getting water once every 4-6 wks or so.

Sorry, no hard & fast rules here, trial & error, instinct & gut feeling (& experience).

Browning tips aren't necessarily abnormal, could be very low humidity; I just got up & looked at all of mine. The one that had a leaf bent down to the level of the mix, well I cut that leaf off & will root it in a couple of wks. HTH somewhat.

• elsier
    16 years ago

Blutarski, I agree with Pirategirl on this one. I have read others saying they don't water their Sans during the winter or hardly any. I water mine less frequently, but they do get watered about every 2 weeks or so.

Elsie

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

I suggest an experiment. Take one plant and in the winter water with the same frequency that you did in the summer but only use one quarter as much water. Just a suggestion for an experiment.

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

I agree with Pirate Girl, Hi Karen, it will depend if you live in a apt in New York, with the heat going so not to freeze, common sense is used here, as Karen is doing. Warm homes (green house conditions) dry them out faster, and some are tropical plants, watch your plants, I do think if the leaves are starting to flop over they need water. Touch the tips/ apex if it bends easily then they are tropical and need more water, it they are dried and hard like S. masoniana, or S. hallii they must not have as much water, if growing of course water. If you keep your home in less than 55F don't water. If you are growing them in fast draining soil, and not peat moss yes water. If they are in a hot corner of a room you will need to water more. Try watering from the bottom. If you live in Florida less, depends on the humidity. So you see for Karen's growing conditions she is right on. Karen I think I did a good job with you, you haavea learned a lot since you gave your program. Congratulations on a job well done. I eat less than you do as well I'm just not as large and don't need that much to survive, we are all different, so are the plants, some live on ancient coral reefs. Some in jungles, others next to a stream, some hide under a bush to get some shade. other out in grasslands in full sun. Know your plant. I look evey thing up before I respond, I do not do it from memory. Sanseviera species
    grow in several different kinds of soil, that will make a difference on what it will require. S. trifasciata (mother-in-law's tongue) hardly ever needs water. Norma