Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Frost burned tips & in the ground

I have a big pot of Sans with frost-burned tips. Is there any way to trim them so they won't keep browning? I've never trimmed a Sans leaf that didn't continue browning at the tip, BUT those were leaves browning due to inappropriate care of the past. I thought I was finished trimming Sans leaves.

After I see which of the sections will make flowers in the spring, (note my confident attitude!) I know I'll be overwhelmingly sick of the sight of this plant, and probably end up tearing the whole thing apart to remove each burned leaf cleanly at the base, which I'll want to propagate... but this was going to come up anyway JUST from repotting w/ or w/o removed leaves... these pots are FULL and these plants need a lot more room. I can't keep a ton of pots of this same thing. It's certainly not my only "invasive house plant" though. One of the funnest things about it, if you ask me, the action!

So this is great for my plan of seeing what they do in the ground. They'll get at least 8 months to roam freely... both existing rhizomes/plants and leaf propagation. Have you/do you ever put Sans in the ground for summer? Tell me this won't look more interesting than same old garden plants! Obviously they grow in the ground where they're from... Going to have to line up people who want plants in the fall so they don't have to freeze to death. (Will do that on exchange forum in a few months.)

Sorry if this seems like it should be 2 threads, the first part really got me seriously thinking about the 2nd. The first part is probably just a quick sorry, no you're right, they'll keep making a brown edge, which seems logical. It needs a scar... I think...

Please don't feel left out of the in-ground part if you have no piece of ground. Have you seen Sans in the ground? Would you think this sounds like fun if you did? Tell us about it!

Comments (8)