Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frost burned tips & in the ground

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 11:43

I have a big pot of Sans with frost-burned tips. Is there any way to trim them so they won't keep browning? I've never trimmed a Sans leaf that didn't continue browning at the tip, BUT those were leaves browning due to inappropriate care of the past. I thought I was finished trimming Sans leaves.

After I see which of the sections will make flowers in the spring, (note my confident attitude!) I know I'll be overwhelmingly sick of the sight of this plant, and probably end up tearing the whole thing apart to remove each burned leaf cleanly at the base, which I'll want to propagate... but this was going to come up anyway JUST from repotting w/ or w/o removed leaves... these pots are FULL and these plants need a lot more room. I can't keep a ton of pots of this same thing. It's certainly not my only "invasive house plant" though. One of the funnest things about it, if you ask me, the action!

So this is great for my plan of seeing what they do in the ground. They'll get at least 8 months to roam freely... both existing rhizomes/plants and leaf propagation. Have you/do you ever put Sans in the ground for summer? Tell me this won't look more interesting than same old garden plants! Obviously they grow in the ground where they're from... Going to have to line up people who want plants in the fall so they don't have to freeze to death. (Will do that on exchange forum in a few months.)

Sorry if this seems like it should be 2 threads, the first part really got me seriously thinking about the 2nd. The first part is probably just a quick sorry, no you're right, they'll keep making a brown edge, which seems logical. It needs a scar... I think...

Please don't feel left out of the in-ground part if you have no piece of ground. Have you seen Sans in the ground? Would you think this sounds like fun if you did? Tell us about it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frost burned tips & in the ground

Purple,
That isn't your very large Sans that I absolutely love is it? :(

Planto

o

Purple,
That doesn't brother me but if you can't stand it. Use clean heavy duty scissors and just cut away the dead parts up to the good section of each leaf. If it continues to die back, just keep cutting it back. Remember to clean each time you cut with the scissors with alcohol. Don't fuss too much over this until spring when it will be warmer out.

o

Yes, Planto, sorry! The plants on the front porch were not at all touched by frost but this plant was in the open in the back yard. Microclimate lesson learned.

Nice of you to say, Stush, but it's making me sick. I can't wait to rip them all off.

And, btw, what is it about Sans that makes them fall over? I've managed to knock this over once already since coming in, and it's not top-heavy like some in much smaller pots. (So there's only 2 now that haven't taken the tumble.) It's so tough, it held itself up - upside down - with only 1 bent leaf. It healed! Can't remember seeing a leaf heal before. This plant may be the toughest of them all.

o

Purple,
Tis ok, *tears up* Hehe. Post a photo when it looks better. :)

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 19:19

o

Awww, I'm sorry to upset u! Thanks for the pretend tears. I had no idea it would frost over there at about 37 degrees. It will be even bigger and better this summer!

The next look you see of this plant will be soon, when I unpot, separate everything, rip off all of the damaged leaves, and put everything in the ground...

o

Purple,
No worries, you didn't upset me. :) I've just been following your posts regarding your large Sans for awhile now and I've grown fond of it. 37 is a bit warm to be frosting over, I wouldn't have expected it to frost either. I hope it works well for you in the ground, it's too cold here in my zone to even think about it. Every now and then we get a really wet winter and I've had a few bulbs rot in the ground before during one of those winters. I can't wait to see some photos!

Planto

o

Ooh I don't mean they can stay in the ground for winter. Just until about the middle of November... then they'll need homes.

o

Purple,
Oh ok, my misunderstanding! :)

Planto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here