Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Anyone experienced w/ planting Sans. seeds?

pirate_girl
11 years ago

Hi All,

Was at a meeting of my local Indoor Gardening Society last night & someone brought in a nice crowded pot of a Sans. she thought was S. concinna. It had bloomed & had grown berries, some of which had ripened & I asked for one. So I took home one berry, yellow in color, rubbed it on some paper towels & the outer membrane came off the seed. I left the seed wrapped in a paper towel to dry off a bit.

I have't a clue how to proceed, whether I should dry it off some, or just wing it.

Am hoping Norma sees this & has some suggestions for me. Am looking for any feedback at all folks. TIA

Comments (4)

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Hey PG, you lucky gal. How wonderful. Some desert species germinate best with a period of after ripening, (drying for a few weeks/months) I've heard Sansevieria are fine with that. I would rather be safe than sorry, should it be planted too soon, with extra moisture, it may not fare well. For me, I would keep it warmish and dry for at least a month, then plant it in a well drained sterile. soil-less mixture, keeping it 70-80 degrees F. That's is what I would do.

Michael
    AOSO (Association of Official Seed Analysts)
    Certified Analyst, Purity & Germination
    Interlaken NY Z6

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Karen,
    Any updates. How are you planning to grow this. Do you remember my cactus post. I planted some cactus seeds and was successful. I used a take home container. The one with the clear plastic top. It makes the perfect green house for starting seeds. Used a sandy moist (not wet) mix and keep the top almost on tight. Let some air leak in. Keep in a warm spot. Above the refrigerator. After one week, you should see what looks almost like a blade of grass growing from the seed.
    Good luck and keep up informed.
    Stush

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Guys,

So Michael, you're an Official Seed guy? That's pretty interesting.

Stush, I haven't done anything it yet, am letting it dry, maybe give it a wk or 2 given Michael's comments. Sorry, I don't recall your seedlings. I am a fan of the hinged deli containers if that's what you mean. Tho' I've also devised a variant of that, which I can make taller.

This is a Hoya seedling in one type I use

Next is a Thanksgiving cactus seedling in a triangular hinged container

{{gwi:70122}}

Of course, one can't really see the containers 'cause I'm trying to show the plant, but thanks for the suggestions all the same. I think my mix here was long spaghnum chopped up & mixed w/ perlite.

I'm fortunate that I can actually give them some direct sun on my kitchen table rather than bottom heat. Above 2 plants are still going over 1 year now.

I'll update when I figure out what I'll do.

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

PG, Oh yea, that's me, the "official" seed guy. Botanist yes, but trained in seeds too. It's one big mishmash, a salad if you will, of greens. All very poor puns aside...

It's not easy being seedy.

M.