Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

Looking for Sans. clylindrica in Corona, Ca. nursuries.

hijole
12 years ago

I recently saw some of these pictures that Marlon Machado posted and I would like to add this to my collection, the only problem is that I don't recall ever seeing one at any store. So if anyone knows of a nursery in my area can you please let me know, and thank you in advance I can't wait :) .

Greg

Comments (15)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Greg,
    I get most of mine mail-order on the internet. Bob Smoley's Gardenworld who has I think the most (without pictures) and Arid Lands Greenhouses. Both are great to deal with. I have never had a problem with them. Bob probably the cheapest. I got some nice big specimens from him. In fact I almost put an order in with BSGw. Look over all the other items including the Euphorbia section. Most Euphorbia are sold as a cutting due to they root easily.

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stush you are just loaded.with all kinds of good news and 411. Can I ask on this site how much something like those run $ wise? And again thank you.
    Greg

• woodnative
    12 years ago

S. cylindrica is relatively common. For a while it was showing up everywhere including chain box stores, food stores etc. I do not grow this plant only because I have extremely limited space (I do however, grow the variegated version). Another option may be to put a request on this forum come Spring.....maybe someone has a spare pup they can trade or send you.

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks nativewood, that's exactly what I'll do because were I live I've never noticed them before and I can say if I had it would have surely got my eye and I go to a lot of nurseries. In any case thanks for the tip and if someone is out thereabouts might have s pup or two for trade or for sale I'm looking for one. Thank you also in advance.

Greg

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Greg, I just saw this thread about the Sans. Cylindrica. I have one that was given to me, but without a name. I am attaching a picture and if this is what you want, I should be able to divide it in the Spring and share with you.

Beverly

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bama gardener, I like it already !!! And thank you for responding so kindly. I would appreciate a piece that's been devided and I've already been anticipating spring and now with one of these cuttings almost in the mail this is how I look right now :)

Yup that's right an ear to ear smile saying thank you very much.

I have to say this though Bama Gardner I've never done this before so come spring you can let me know my part in this trade off and I'll be glad to share in the expenses. And bless your giving heart.

Greg

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

I'm as ready for Spring as you are although here on the Gulf Coast, we haven't had much winter so far. But around March I will repot and be looking for your address so lets not forget about this trade.
    Beverly

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beverly, didn't see your name the first time, but for sure I will provide my address gladly. I can give you my email address right here right now and maybe you can include yours if you feel comfortable with that.

Wow the Gulf Coast, what is the weather like right now, for us today a cloudy day and sprinkles temp is about 56 today a little cool but next week it could be in the nineties 90's
    I think I would prefer giving you my address through email or my cell phone number but I'll do almost anything for a plant LOL.
    my email address is. aguilerag2@AOL.com
    Greg

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Greg,
    We've had 3 nights with temps below 30 degrees F., but not for extended periods, which is great for the plants outside. However, it's not good for the bugs we'll have next summer!! We had a pretty sunny day today, but the rain will move in on Tuesday. Temps will move back toward the 70's again. Our weather has been described as a "rollercoaster" this year - from freezing to the 70's.
    Sent you an email.
    Beverly

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

We have had the same problems with weather this year. I also have a late flowering Sans. a little tiny one which has surprised me. I have left some out in the cold on the north wall of my garage it has a 2 ply greenhouse plastic covering them
    they seem to be doing better then my greenhouse plants, but not flowering, so this proves to me that they need sun to flower and fertilizer. I will be breaking up a lot of mine this year and they will be breaking up my pots. I do have S. cylindrica, seveal forms/varieties of them. I wish I had a list of names and address handy so I can send plants out at will, right now I'm having post office problems, I just manage at this time to get there, but that will be taken care of soon and before I forget I have one plant in open run it's doing fine and even has an ofset, no cold burns, it looks better then some of my green house varieties. will not proof it's after midnight. Norma

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beverly thank you so, so much. The plants are spectacular and a nice surprise too, now I'm curious as to the care for these sans. Clylindrica's, do we care for them as other sanseverias, such as all sun, partial sun, or mostly bright light?

And the devil's back is a stunning looking plant too, one I don't recall ever seeing before along with the onion plant which I wasn't actually even sure what side went into the ground LOL...
    The round part or the thread looking end.
    Trust me though, I'm delighted to have them :D

I plan on really surprising you with a nice selection of various types.

Greg

• bama_gardener
    11 years ago

Greg, I keep my sans. cylindrica shaded or bright light and take care of it just like the others. The pregnant onion is planted with the long green leaf on top. Sometimes it takes a while for them to get established and they are prolific. You may have to throw or give away the babies later. Look it up on the internet and you will see how they grow. When they mature they produce a long, white flower spike. So glad to be able to share with you.
    Beverly

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beverly, thank you again, I am so looking forward to seeing all my new cacti and succulents grow up, one more question please, the sans clylindrica plants now I know I've seen some pics on this site that are planted in the ground that look very happy and healthy are they just as happy in pots, as far as growth is concerned because I want to see them thrive and multiply?

Anyone can answer this question just to get opinions from others that have grown these type too.

T.I.A
    Greg

• bama_gardener
    11 years ago

Greg, you live in zone 9 and that should be OK for growing the sans in the ground. How often do you get freezing weather in your area? Here in 8b, we still get some pretty cold weather and no way would I put my sans in the ground. Besides, the area where I live has lots of clay and takes lots of amending. That's why mine live in pots.
    Beverly

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beverly, no freezing in my area, close but not quite that cold, banana tree plants are about all that get effected by our cold temps but there leafs are like paper thin so that's understandable but none of my cacti or succulents have suffered any frost bite because of freezing.

Hey Beverly today I sent out your package of goodies, approximately 3 lbs of stuff hope you like all of them, sorry no name tags identifying all of um though, that was awfully nice of you and something I appreciate but cannot duplicate.

I sent you an email not sure if it went thru though cause I sent it attached to the last thread, please let me know if it does though.

I sent it by ground but it should be fine because they were all freshly cut and boxed up.

Greg

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012