Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixed Varieties in one pot

Posted by lme5573 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 12:15

Shopping at a local green house/grocery store, and found this 6" pot of sans - at least 3 different varieties. It looks as though it was the end of the day and they shoved in all the left overs, or maybe they were trying for a bouquet of sans.

I bought it mainly for the big one in the center - no margins, and the backs of the leaves are light green with dark green markings. It is about 12" high.

I see 4 leaves with yellow margins, and I think they are leaves only. It looks like I have 2 or 3 bird's nest tucked in there. One of those is almost black with bright green markings. No margins. I have one pup, and it looks white with green markings, no margins. But it is very young, and will need to grow before I can ID that.

I need opinions - will it hurt to wait till spring to divide it? I would expect to see zero roots if I divided these plants, and I think I might want warmer weather so I can have some success.

I'll add another picture to show more plants. Lennie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixed Varieties in one pot

Another view.

o

I would wait until Spring to repot.....unless you have them in very warm and light conditons. I wonder if they did shove mixed types together.............or if the margined plant sported the all green one (happens sometimes). You will have to wait until you do decide to unpot to see if they are connected.

o

Lennie,
I think Woodnative is right. They look like rooted cuttings of Sansevieria trifasciata Laurentii. Which would result in trifasciata. Maybe those leaves were from Sansevieria trifasciata 'Compacta', which would result in Robusta. Which is a wider shorter growing trifasciata. The young would look like the shorter hahnii. I had the same happen to me. Below is the picture.

o

I agree - the Laurentii has sported. That explains what I was seeing. I'm fascinated. I see lots of variety, each plant has a bit different color, texture or shape. My house is definitely on the cold side, so I will leave it as is and maybe repot in the spring. Thanks!

o

On some species all of the leaves can be different.
So don't be surprised, just enjoy the differences. ll

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here