Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

sansevaria care

marricgardens
12 years ago

I have had this particular one 9plain green) for a few years now, about 4. I have had to repot it because it was getting to big for the pot it came in. I bumped it up from a 3" pot, which it was filling, to an 8" pot. I was going to divide it this spring when I can get it outside to do it. It's now 4' tall. When I was cleaning it the other day I noticed that the one of the new leaf blades wasn't flat like the others, it was more tubular shaped, thicker in the middle. Is there something wrong with it? What could be causing this? BTW, I have been looking at some of the posts. Didn't realize there were so many varieties of sans. or how tall some can get! Marg

Comments (5)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Marg,
    Mine does that due to being pot bound. Some flat and some crescent shaped. Some 3 inches wide and I have some that is almost 1/2 inch wide crescent shaped and 4 feet long. I plan to repot this spring with a new mix. Yours did that in 4 years, Mine did in almost 40 years. Go thru the list and learn. I learned more in 6 months here than the 40 years I have had that plant.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Most of my gardening is done outside, daylilies, iris and hosta. Any indoor plants I get have to be tolerant of neglect until fall. My Sans. has done wonderfully for me. I'll have to look it up to see which variety I have, mine doesn't have very wide blades, about 1". One more question. Do yours ever flower? How often? Mine goes thru stages when it flowers constantly and then nothing for a few more months. Do you think the amount of flowering affects the rate of growth? Marg

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Marg,
    I have no idea. Mine flower in February sometime. Only once a year. Maybe only one flower in the whole pot. It is possible for you to have something quite different. Can you post a picture of it. Maybe several from different angles. Might need one of our Sans personnel to check it out. If it is not the tipical Sansevieria Trifasciata I'm out of it. Sorry. You have to know that ID's are a best guess. Very hard to do. You did come to the right place. Many look here that really know their Sansevieria.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Thank you for the compliment, this group is getting better daily, we have many very savy members regarding this species, and that should be complimented. I've seen growth in their knowledge. Sansevieria need to be crowded to flower, and old, they need fertilizer, but not until you see new growth, they like warm water, and steady temps above 55F
    do not water down into the base of the rosette. If they are growing well where they are placed, do not move them. They need a rich well draining soil, Find out where they grow, grasslands, shade under trees, forest, close to mist of a waterfall (Victory Falls) in the Jungle (The Mason Congo) in shale, on cliffs, or in a old ancient decomposed coral hil bank. (A. perrotii) Chek out the type of soil needed. If one is called S. suffruticosa, I will ask which one. Toay I found out S. bella there are two, one from Dr. Newton of Africa the other from Gordon Rowley who publishes books, if they say S, canaliculata ask which one. I have 250 named plants some with excellent documentation. Also ask questions to the person you get the plant from, and make sure you label them, always one in the bottom of the pot face down, now I don't want to
    write a book here or I will be kicked off. You will learn bit
    by bit, like the rest of us did. Ask questions , we will not get tired of you, and no question is dumb, only the one when you ask what is this and you show only a leaf with blothes of another color. Then we know you are a beginner. I can't respond to that one, so I am the dumb one.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The plant I rec'd was in a floral arrangement from my MIL funeral. There is no way of knowing which variety it is. I will try to take some pictures and post them later. Now that I remember where I got it, it's 6 years old not 4, sorry about that. Thanks for all the info. Marg