Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
binlin

Imported S. Pinguicula Pictures

binlin
13 years ago

I bought this plant from an ebay merchant and had it mailed from Thailand.

I've been taking photos of its growth (or not) over the last 7 months and figured I'd share.

There's nothing particularly spectacular going on here but Ill post anyway.

June 25th, 2010:

Brand new pinguicula pup arrives from Thailand in awesome condition! The rootlets are dry but the primary roots are firm and healthy.

July 19th:

Apart from the leaves going all pruny, absolutely nothing's happened so far.

August 7th:

Success! A month and a half after potting, a small white bump is the beginning of a new root. I haven't seen any fine roots forming on the older roots though.

August 10th-20th:

Lots of root growing. The leaves are continuing to wrinkle since the primary roots don't absorb moisture.

October 16th:

By now, the new root has burrowed deep into the pot and is now forming fine roots with root hairs to absorb water and nutrients. The leaves are still thin and wrinkled from the 4 months it spent with no water intake.

October 26th:

The new root is now clearly established, look at the improvement in the leaves!

November 15th:

Finally, visible growth of the central leaves. The lighter areas around the base of the leaves is new growth pushed out from the center of the rosette.

December 11th:

Another new root is forming at the base of the plant.

January 7th, 2011:

The leaf that started growing in the photo from November 15th is now fully grown. Two more new leaves are pushing out from the center.

January 13th:

The new leaf has grown about 1cm over the last week. The new root is now also established and the plant seems to be picking up speed.

Unrelated picture:

I found this growing at the University greenhouse. It's quite pretty but orchids have always been a bit too finicky for my tastes.

It's unlabeled but I think it's Miltassia Charles M. Fitch 'Izumi'

Comments (7)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm