Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlonmachado

some pictures from my small Sansevieria collection

marlonmachado
12 years ago

Part of my sans collection, with the thicker-leaved, more succulent types:

Closer look, with my favorite one plant prominent - the blue Sansevieria powysii, grown from material collected by Boris Vrskovy in Kiwayo Island, Kenya.

From above:

Sansevieria powysii is a fantastic plant with its blue color:

Juvenile specimen of Sansevieria cylindrica var. patula 'Boncel':

A corner with more common plants, mostly Sans. trifasciata cultivars, but also Sans. stuckyii, Sans. 'Florida H-13', Sans. roxburghiana, Sans. ebracteata, Sans. cylindrica, Sans. masoniana.

Best regards,

Marlon Machado.

Comments (8)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Marlon,
    'Holy Crap on a Stick'. I heard that saying and it sticks. What a collection. Took my breath away. Up here in Pennsylvania, we have highs in the low 20's and single digits lows. Also add a few inches of snow powder. Thanks for the pictures to remind me that spring is/will come.

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Yes thanks for the pics!!! Great collection there of a great variety. I like that blue powesii too! A lot of other nice ones there also. I think I see a S. kirkii 'Silver Blue' in the right of the top photo also. On the bottom photo, what is the small plant on the left side with very light/white mediovariegation??? Is it a Sans or an Agave?

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I wish I had had the room to keep my collection in that condition. I can't lift them now, they are all mature. They weigh more then I do. I should put 3 growths in a gal. pot so they would look like that and toss out all old growth. It would take me a year to do that, and I don't have the room. I would need a new green house. I just love your collection what is the big grey one in the middle of one picture. I notice that you indicate that 'Boncel' is a hybrid, I thougt so, it doesn't have a Latin name. Thank you for posting the pictures I really enjoyed seeing such a lovely collection. Norma

• alpq
    12 years ago

You have a beautiful collection with an amazing variety of sans! It makes me want to add to my collection... which currently consists of one sans.

Jeffrey

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Marlon,

Thanks for sharing your plants with us - the beautiful chunkiness is awesome to behold.

• marlonmachado
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your nice comments. Woodnative, the plant that you think is S. kirkii 'Silver Blue' is in fact a form of Sans. scimitariformis. The plant with white variegation is a small pup of Agave americana 'Mediopicta Alba'.

Hi Norma, I believe the big grey one you refer to is Sans. powysii. 'Boncel' is not a hybrid as far as I know, but a mutation of Sans. cylindrica var. patula.

Best regards,

Marlon Machado.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Marlon,
    All I can still say 'Holy crap on a stick'. (CG)
    Jeff,
    Nice of you to come in. I through you might have gotten rid of your sans collection. Nice to have you back.
    Chris,
    I had a very large Agave americana 'Mediopicta Alba'. It is very slow to pup. It got frozen 2 years ago and lucky I found one pup from it. 2 years and it is about 4 inches tall. Very slow to get establish. I will watch this one from now on. Never knew about this gritty mix. If so I think a frost alone might not have had this bad of a effect. That plant cost me $40 for a med. size pup.

• laura1
    12 years ago

Nice collection, nice "family" group shot. I'm thinking of taking a family picture of mine but they are scattered all over the place. You do have a nice collection of more unusual plants. Love 'em all.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!