Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noki_gw

Sansevieria plant questions

noki
13 years ago

Well I have some cool odd plants I'm asking advice on, or even what they are. I want to plant them the best to encourage strong growth.

1. This one I got unmarked a few years ago as one plant. The leaves are more curled than straight. It flowered the first winter, and grew 5 clone plants. Now it is all over the place, has grown well. How should or what parts should I save to replant this without weakening it too much? ...as it is sprawling now, growing out of the pot.

A picture from a few years ago

{{gwi:75522}}

2. I just got this cool spiky guy, and it is sending up new growth. Should I replant this? Cut off the old hand and let the new growth take over?

3. I got this two years ago and seperated these three plants. The plant obviously didn't like this treatment, since it has not grown at all, just sits there. It gets a little more light than plant #1. Will it ever get taller with new growth, or is this just a short plant? What should I do with this? Leave one plant in there?

4. I've had this for years, a really nice classic. I torn up the old plant and planted three new growths. It took 4 years but it has finally started growing. Repot? I want to encourage it to get as tall as possible. Leave the clump together?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (10)

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Hi Noki,

Sans do not like to be divided if they are to prosper and flower. They do like small pots, or, being cramped.

1. is a S. parva, but it in a hanging basket
    2. is a S. cylindrica, do nothing but throw the horrible beast out ASAP
    3. is a S. cylindrica, just leave them
    4. is a S. trifasciata 'Laurentii', leave them.

Helli

• brodyjames_gw
    13 years ago

In regards to pic #2, I would just leave them alone; I see that they are already making babies. I have a grouping that looks just like that and the straight stalks are slowly dying off, but only after sending up a bunch of healthy growing babies.

Nancy

• noki
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is the difference in size/habit of S. cylindrica natural variation, or are one or both just selected mutant forms?

• Michaela
    13 years ago

Noki, the plant pictured by your beautiful black lab is a cylindrica var. cylindrica. Picture #6 COULD be a cylindrica var. patula. Maybe someone else can give an opinion on picture #6.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

LOVE that shot with the dog!

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Leave them in the pots that they are in, cut down on water, and perhaps change the soil, to a more gritty kind, only 10% of organic materials, let the plant crowd the pots, or even break the pots before you transplant to something larger. The first one is parva,or dooeri, depending on the width of the leaves, and how it starts the new growth. It grows in the mist of Victory Falls needs more sun not to flop over. Makes a great hanging basket subject. Norma

• noki
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I would want to try to encourage the second and last plant to grow as tall and big as possible. So it would not help to put them in a bigger pot now? Just let them get as cramped as possible, then put them in a bigger put?
    My dog didn't understand why I was paying attention to a plant instead of throwing a toy, thought "look at me instead!"

• binlin
    13 years ago

Sansevieria typically increase in size as their root system expands. The bigger the root system, the bigger the subsequently produced rosettes. Moving them into a larger pot won't make them grow any faster, but better culture conditions might. The pots you have them in look plenty big enough for now so I'd leave them as they are.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Some species just don't grow tall, stronger plant occur when then are given less water more light (brighht shade) some species grow in the open amoung the grasses, or rocks, so really want dry conditions, they have adapted to dry conditions, at one time I am told that they were growing in with more water perhaps more tropical and really ancient lake beds that dried up for their summer. It all depends on the species, I have one that grows on the top of an ancient coral bed. The elephants are very fond of them mostly for the tuber that they dig up to provide water. These animals don't realize that they are providing a new crop for themselves. Another tip, the thin leaf species like S. trifaciata which has a tip on the top of the leaf that bend easily needs more water. That is the clue that tells you how much water it needs or that you can use more organic matter in your mix. Norma

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

All of the above members gave you excellent advise, The less care they get the better they will do. Gee I thought your dog was posing for the picture. If I leave out letters it is because my fingers do not feel that I have. I'm not a hunt a peck typist. Norma