Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

Another nameless sans

beachplant
14 years ago

I've never found a name for this one. It's a very low grower with nice pink/red edges. Hasn't ever bloomed for me but it spreads quite well and is in several of the beds. If anyone wants some let me know & I'll be happy to send you some. The short one, there are several growing together out by the street.

Tia! Tally HO!

Comments (12)

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I can make a guess but perfer not too, I think many others will help you out on the list they know more than I do, and have more experience. Norma

• beachplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Norma, if anyone knows it's you! You underestimate yourself.

Tally HO!

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I have just been in so many words that names are not needed. So now I choose not to use them, it ia a waste of my time doing so. I don't like going to bed at 2:00 in the morning finding names for people who say they are not necessary. I banks don't accept check that are not written to the right account with the right number on it for deposit so I guess names are not needed any more, and if we get the wrong surgery because the right name was not put on the wrist band that is going to be okay. I am not supplying names any more, the are not needed so I should not (must not) open my mouth or be bothered supplying them. Norma

• beachplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Huh?

I like to find the names of all my plants if I can. I certainly am not going to freak out if I don't find the name. Some plants will never be identified as I am not a botanist. I'm not really sure how asking for a name on a plant can be compared to having surgery or writing checks. It is a bit hard to do a salpingo-oopherectomy on a man!
    Tally HO!

• tf.-drone
    14 years ago

Hi Tally,

forget it - there are too many plants around with that type of leaves. Without a flower it is hopeless, even using Occam's razor.

All the best, Helli

• mfyss
    14 years ago

Looks like S. subspicata. Yale

• beachplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Yale, that may very well be it, low-growing, spreads rapidly.. found a few pics that look just like it an done that the foliage is much more upright. This one has always been pretty low-growing with no uprigt growth per se.
    Tally HO!

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Helli, what is Occams? Norma

• tf.-drone
    14 years ago

Hi Norma,

"Occam's razor" is the complete term: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

Yale used it and suggested S. subspicata. I think this is not only possible but even probable, but without flowers we cannot be sure.

Helli

• isusandi
    14 years ago

Helli,

Agreed with Yale, S. subspicata. I have 3 fulled pots. Already flowered twice last year

Indra

• beachplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This one has never bloomed for me. It suffered no damage in our recent freeze.
    Tally HO!

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I know what it is, however, when I have been told in so many words that names are not important, I did't want to get into a hassel over it. I think all plants should/must have a name if it can be obtained, if not, wait until it is. I have waited 19 years for two of my plants with collection numbers on them to be named and now they are by the San. International Journal. It is written down now, and I can tell the Huntington Gardens, that is has a name and prove it to them. Up until now they both just had numbers. I don't freak out either, it is just important for the hobby. I have been giving that plant away by the potfull. Mine has very black green leaves, and can take considerable cold, it plant under a open tree. Norma

Norma