Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Sansevieria parva?

I think I got a Sansevieria parva today which is supposed to flower in summer and smell like hyacinths (the common name is Kenya Hyacinth). Of course there was no tag on the plant and the workers didn't know the name either (besides sansevieria). It fits the bill of having 9"-16" long leaves that are around an inch across. The plant itself is huge! About 31" across and 22" tall. It's in a hanging basket and has underground runners.
I suppose I'll have to wait until summer and see if it blooms and has fragrant flowers?
I'm a fragrance nut so I'm pretty stoked if it is S. parva. :)

-Robert

Comments (14)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Side view of the whole plant.

My friend Mike from the fragrant forum thinks it's the hybrid S. 'Galaxy'.
    Really wanted it to be S. parva but I suppose if the hybrid S. 'Galaxy' also produces fragrant flowers at night then it won't be too bad. ;)
    So far I haven't been able to find much on 'Galaxy'.
    The one best pic I've come across the leaves look a bit more floppy than mine and a little wider so I'm still holding out hope!
    Would love to hear from sansevieria experts.

Thank you,
    Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: S. 'Galaxy'

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Hmm, superficially, yes, it looks like parva. However it could be a few others... dooneri, transvaalensis (I think that these may have been pushed back into parva) and then there are the hybrids. Keep a watch for flowers. That could help you identify it correctly. Regardless, what a GREAT find! Are there any more left?

Michael
    Interlaken, NY z6

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Michael!

I did come across a pic of S. dooneri and thought it could be it as well. This is my first sans so I'm an absolute newbie to this genus (but not to plants in general).
    Hopefully it will bloom for me this summer and I'll find out if the flowers smell good at night or not.
    I got it at Cohlmia's in Tulsa and yes, there was another one.
    They said they were getting another shipment of plants in a couple of weeks so no doubt I'll go again. :)

Thanks for the tips!

-Robert

• laura1
    11 years ago

Hi everyone I have not posted here in a very long time!

I have 2 different plants labeled doonseri. I know this now because they are both blooming.

I also have parva. They have all gotten a little mixed up. Now that I know that parva is scented at night I might be able to get some clarity on IDs.

I've enjoyed reading the posts today.
    thanks all.
    Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Laura!

I think S. dooneri is very similar to S. parva expect dooneri has longer leaves...so I would assume its flowers are also scented at night?
    How lucky that you have both species! :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

It finally bloomed!
    I noticed the open flowers this morning.
    To my nose the scent reminds me of citrus blossoms and hyacinths.

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Another shot of the plant in bloom.

-Robert

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

so, do u conclude it is parva? I just got a similar plant at a local nursery and all they said was s. Galaxy. I will be watching for blooms as it seems now is blooming time.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I have no idea. I'll leave that up to the experts!
    I did look at pics of Galaxy and the leaves look more wavy than mine so I'm assuming it's parva but who knows! :)
    I do know the scent was too strong for me at night and I had to remove the plant from my bedroom!

-Robert

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

what do you think mine is? It is blooming and I sniffed it midday. there was the faintest hyacinth/orange blossom scent. I will smell it again tonight to see if stronger. I grow it as an indoor potted plant and it is a thirsty one!

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

what do you think mine is? It is blooming and I sniffed it midday. there was the faintest hyacinth/orange blossom scent. I will smell it again tonight to see if stronger. I grow it as an indoor potted plant and it is a thirsty one!

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

overall plant

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

foliage closeup

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert