Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whip1_gw

Not growing

I have two sans. plants that are about two years old. As far as I can tell, they havn't grown at all. I've read other post, and it seems like I'm giving them proper care. They spend the summer outside on a covered porch that gets good sun after about 2:00. They are by a southern window in the winter. They get regular water in the summer, and very little in the winter. I use an occasional dose of fish emulsion for a fert. They seem healthy. They have good leaf color, and the leaves are very thick and sturdy. I know they don't grow fast, but is this normal?

Comments (6)

• Solar_Storm
    18 years ago

Hi "whip". I think for those of us who don't live in tropical climes, growing sans requires a lot of patience. I don't know which species you have, but perhaps part of the slowness is because it isn't warm enough.

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

I wouldn't use fish, that is not what they get in the wild. Yes they need to be warm, and some species like high humidity some can grow out in open run, depending where you live. Some grow in mountain regions, and others are dry as a bone 6 mo out of the year. Others grow along streams, other in centuries old coral hills.
    Perhaps you have planted them in too deep a container, if they are the species that have a rhizome it has to reach the bottom before it come back up again. It will grow, and perhaps more than you wish. They can break pots of any kind. Be patient you will love the plant, you can go on vacation and not take it with you like other pets. Norma

• ankraras
    18 years ago

I am singing the very same song about the Eilensis while others are flowering. Strange!

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

Hi all, especially Supannee, I sure need some suggestions on growing Eilensis. All help will be appreciated, thank you,

San. eilensis is the most difficult of the bunch to grow, and one of the slowest. I still don'e how much water it will require without rotting the plant out.
    Most of mine have flowered in our Winter months, (Africa summer) and still I am having more sending up the flower spikes. I know they will all start to grow fast by the end of April, and few have started now. They will grow crazy by the end of Sept and continue until it gets really cold here about Jan 1 down to 40F now don't laugh, that is very cold for me and the plants.
    My San.'Horwoodii' is in flower with a 14" spike,at this time, with no perfume. This species goes under the name of S. elliptica, HBG 22830 collected by Lav. No. 795 Burao, Somalia. The new name changes are driving all of us nuts. It's really a nice plant. Norma

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I wasn't able to get a picture until now. Hopefully someone can ID this Sans. and give the advice to grow it properly. I bought both plants at IKEA for $1.50, and they were labels snake plant. I don't think they have grown at all!

Can anyone ID the plant? Is there anything I can do to help it grow? I appreciate all the help so far!

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

This is 'Laurentii.' Grow it like other Sans, bright light, let dry out thoroughly between waterings. It might do better planted in a strudy clay pot. If you dont want to transplant take the tray off the bottom of the plastic one for better drainage. I only water mine every 3-4 weeks. The brighter the light the more yellow the edges of the leaves will be. They are slow growers, dont be alarmed. Enjoy!

Jen